Rainy Day Chicken Cook

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
We had a couple of rainy days to start off the week. Nothing like my friends had in the south end of the state, but enough to bring our rainfall up to about half of normal for this time of year. Around mid morning I bagged some leg quarters in some Roadside Marinade for around eight hours. Paired the chicken with a couple Hasselback Sweet Potatoes and some Coconut Creamed Spinach in our large cast iron skillet. Everything came out pretty good.

The potatoes needed about an hour so I got them on first. Drizzled them with butter, olive oil, minced garlic, thyme leaves and s and p.

enhance

Pulled the leg quarters out of the marinade and got on some medium low heat.

enhance

Kind of a juggling match for a while. While keeping an eye on the chicken I got started on the creamed spinach. Sauteed some onion.

enhance

Flipped the chicken every 5 minutes or so and basted with fresh Roadside Sauce.

enhance

After 4 or 5 minutes I added some fresh chopped ginger and sliced garlic to the onions and gave it another minute.

enhance

Wilted down about 8 cups of spinach, a handful at a time.

enhance

enhance

Added a cup of coconut milk and let it simmer for a few minutes. Then added some cayenne, curry powder, smoked paprika and some salt.

enhance

Back to the chicken. Just about done.

enhance

Potatoes too.

enhance

enhance

Plated it up. Not shown was a topping I put together for the potatoes with Greek Yogurt and chopped scallions.

enhance

My wife made the dessert.

enhance

Overall this was a pretty tasty dinner. The Roadside Chicken, as always, was delicious. That's a wonderful recipe as most of you know. The sweet potatoes were good and the Coconut Creamed Spinach was very tasty. That mixture of spices added at the end made the dish pop. Well, that's it. Thanks for looking everyone.

Well... you knocked that dinner out of the ballpark. I know the chicken was super. Really like the looks of the coconut creamed spinach. Hasselback sweet potatoes has to be a new good thing.
& that beautiful desert!

Love RSC and those sides look perfect too. Your wife's dessert looks wonderful also. Nice meal you two.

Last edited:
Cliff, another fantastic meal sent out of the ballpark. Your wife's desert is over the top. That is one excellent meal you two and I'm going to try the coconut creamed spinach.

Cliff, Wonderfull Rainy Day Chicken Cook, I also like the Coconut creamed spinach.
How many BBQ's are you did you use on this cook?
Santa Maria, Craycort's, inverted vortex etc.

Cliff, Wonderfull Rainy Day Chicken Cook, I also like the Coconut creamed spinach.
How many BBQ's are you did you use on this cook?
Santa Maria, Craycort's, inverted vortex etc.

Thanks Jeff. I'd done some 3 hour chili earlier in the day with my faux SM. I still had plenty of heat when it was done so I threw on the spinach. I could have doubled up the potatoes with the chicken but I like to flip the chicken several times and pulling the lid messes up an indirect cook so I threw the potatoes on my JJ. Quick answer, three.

Now that's a meal! Killer Chicken, Killer Spinach and that Potato, excellent! Your Wife's desert pairs up nicely

Back