No more Maull-ed pork steaks?

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
edit, looks like they are selling the business, see post 7.
No panic in the streets around here yet, but I'll bet folks are starting to buy and hoard Maull's bbq sauce.
No word from the family owned company about what's going on, but the factory appears to be closed, and they're not taking online orders.

For those who don't know, Maull's has been selling their sauce here since 1926.
I'm pretty sure that a majority of local backyard cooks use it, especially on pork steaks.
In the news:
http://fox2now.com/2018/01/09/maull-it-a-st-louis-tradition-may-have-come-to-an-end/

1990 commercial:

Last edited:
I wonder if my old Maull's bottle will go up in value. :rolleyes:

bhQ3V8brgbdgPPuvGHbZWYZIwYywQSJOt0sX-wxYvIaMgIaHgVMb6HJDfHynmiN8E_l0A6UTiFSTJ1RX_2yvHSR2ThlKKzJ30iFaKwV7QzPb855f96NYIJ2X8mAQLyDkWoUlrBmCRUtMrhbR5T9w4clb47uHg7vIs6Rm9iiPvqTCHCqSVQUTN5Mx4pS6kz6yxmd2YF9Yy-ssdjTTpI9eaoEfQ785D-Mn3qUBdkMLZN5ltdpyjo9uFzPeuwuFAWju47wzNR_HuZzcb9BJTgVxc_i083ylOxdZx7bJ6vAJMyI4hKas_dLw_8F86ibnvR2OrNhYjmUSyEOd3OEjN4pqvW_HXL9PRu6XXe_sO9X3vPYotaKzODdjSV-KWda5HCmtUGhcUHrLgEZJURQMrwSwrAOPbi37nzrOCjNXbSQgvJa7A5RpYXt9q4_1eLxiAACw4VwWkRVYpMy_pICe_koeLhkoGVi0KOJ3n55ZTbprdJB3wNzgtXVsi2vHMYEUsFUZUFgG86DV6RCN7abZa_eNRA_fHLKYmLJq9p7KINUF8gGYOtSQMQ58MO8LuHxNKMlqQf_7idO0vl1nstgy-rMLwQZrICsuq58hS4ahvxg=w1352-h896-no

"Two recent court judgments against Maull’s, one for a food broker and another for a transportation company total nearly $90,000. Both were awarded after representatives from Maull’s repeatedly failed to show up in court."

Wow. Sounds like somebody really dropped the ball somewhere.

Update.
"The Louis Maull Company is in negotiations for the sale of the Maull’s BBQ sauce brand," vice president Stephen Maull said in an email Wednesday afternoon. "We anticipate closing on the transaction in the next 7-10 days. The potential buyer is a St. Louis company with strong St. Louis connections. It is anticipated that the brand will continue to be manufactured in St. Louis."
article here

Last edited:
sure it'll sell for the big buck to Kraft/Heinz Foods, Coca~Cola, Kellogg's or another mega-giant food processer that'll re-vamp the original recipe then slap the original name on the bottle while adding a buck a bottle to the price sticker.

I have local transplanted St Louis natives who grab me a bottle when they return home from time to time. Hope they don’t change the recipe.

The latest word is that a group of local investors are working on a deal.

SR has his take on Maull's, it's pretty well loaded with ingredients, here.

Wonder if the same people that make Da Bomb Beyond Insanity sauce will be involved. If so, they'll be in good hands.

Back