My how to guide for messing up filet mignons

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Two nice filet mignon steaks.
Lit basket of Weber charcoal, you know, the stuff that's supposed to burn hotter and longer?
Plop 'em on the grate, no sizzle, no grill marks!
Put the center of the GBS grate directly on top of the basket, still not getting a char.
Check the garlic bread in the oven, not brown enough, kick it up to broil, tend to the steaks.
Heat a cast iron skillet, add some garlic butter, place on a stove burner, add the steaks.
Forget about the bread, it's now almost black, forget about the steaks that had hit 125° and are now resting, off burner, ON HOT CAST IRON!

Eat steaks that are damn near well done and mumble to yourself.
The baked potatoes were real good though. :eek:
Blame it on a senior moment.

At least you didn't look at the wife and say - "How about McDonald's?" If you can eat it then it's not a failure - just a learning experience. :D

This sounds exactly like something I would do, Bob! Some days, your brain and various other factors just conspire against you. The good news is, if you make a nice McBob tomorrow morning, it will ease the pain greatly!

Glad the potatoes were good. :)

R

fried onions & a little heinz 57 will make any well done steak into a darn good sandwich imo!

Sounds good even if overdone.

Hey, at least you had some good company, (and some good baked potatoes)!!!
Live, Learn, and Laugh. (Sometimes a lot easier said than done!)
Tim

Yep, that happens. I'm sure a 'bad' cook from Mr. Correll is still pretty darn good though.

on a cold day in 1999, two years after DDay, I placed a pizza (a DELUXE pizza mind you, not some ordinary run of the gauntlet doohickie) in the oven and set A timer...
opened a beer, sat down in front of the tube (which I rarely entertain unless the Pack or the Badgers or The Crew are playing) and proceeded to doze.

three and some odd hours later, my smoke detector reminded me my home needed fresh air and that my
dinner was ready for the trash.

Bob, we may all have our own guide (or two) at similar results.

Back