300° with vortex basket

Hey everyone, This is my first post. I just purchased a Hunsaker vortex charcoal basket and I'm looking for some advice on how to fire it up for a 300° cook on my 18" WSM. I've had many successful cooks with the water bowl using the Minion method to achieve 225, but after hearing great things about the vortex basket I want to start cooking in the 300° range. I have a Weber chimney starter but I'm not sure it's necessary for the vortex basket unless a Minion method is used. Is it best just to light the charcoal(original Kingsford) in the basket? About how much? What's a good starting point to set the vents? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Those are some good looking ribs! It seems you basically did the Minion method with about 40 lit coals. That's the approach I will probably take when I try out some St. Louis ribs Saturday.

Those are some good looking ribs! It seems you basically did the Minion method with about 40 lit coals. That's the approach I will probably take when I try out some St. Louis ribs Saturday.

Thanks.

It was a full Weber mini-chimney with Weber briquettes & Minion start. Probably about 12 briquetts - they are much bigger than KBB. Catch the temps on the rise - start shutting vents about 25* below your target.

You could use a weed burner or some other torch to fire the basket direct. Works well.

Last edited:
You could also install another grate 5 inches below the top cooking grate to allow the use of a vortex or slow n sear for high heat grilling. Turns the wsm into a kettle.

You could also install another grate 5 inches below the top cooking grate to allow the use of a vortex or slow n sear for high heat grilling. Turns the wsm into a kettle.

Well... there is a Vortex & there is a Hunsaker Vortex. Methinks you got your apples mixed in with oranges. They are not the same.

Back