Buying a Vortex

Mike Freel

TVWBB Pro
I am getting ready to buy a medium size vortex for my performer. When I go to Amazon I see that there are numerous sources and the reviews for many of them indicate that it is a cheap Chinese knockoff.
Do any of you have a suggestion as to how I can assure that I get a good product? Maybe a suggestion of who to get it from?
Thanks,
Mike

Mike- I was rushed for time when I wrote my last comment. The vortex website has several sellers listed to buy their product from. For clarity's sake, I also ordered mine from Owen's BBQ. Transaction was smooth.

I got my first one at Owens also for $40.00 + shipping. Got my second one at Walmart a stainless steel dog bowl for $1.88 and cut the bottom off it. They both work exactly the same. I've used both at least twenty times each and they both are holding up very well.

Ahh Rich,
A voice of reason!
I’ve not been able to get off the fence about getting one, I hope someone gets me one for the Feast of St. Valentine!

I think I was in line behind Rich at Walmart when I bought my Stainless steel bowl to make my faux vortex. As Rich described, I just cut the bottom out to my desired height and bingo-bango I had a vortex. I wasn't sure if I would use it all that often, so my thinking was this route was a great way to see if you're going to like it, going to use it, or if it does what you want it to do for just a few $.
Good luck,
Tim

I flat out LOVE my Vortex. I have the medium for my Performer. I did the dog bowl faux Vortex for my Jumbo Joe and it works well in it, too.

Today, I cannot imagine doing chicken parts any other way. I fill the Vortex on the Performer with lit coals, and it runs well over 400 degrees indirect (as measured with a remote therm where the chicken parts sit). Wings get 20 minutes, then flip and they finish with crisp skin in 30 minutes or so. Thighs take a bit longer, because they are bigger. I brine all poultry before grilling.

The original Vortex is made of heavy SS and should last longer than the grill and that is saying something!

FWIW
Dale53

I completely understand the desire for the dog bowl “Fautex” but, when the guy that came up with the idea and tooling has spent the time to get it the way he feels it works at its best, he deserves to stay in business through customer support. The dog bowl mod is all well and good but, they are made in China and given the attitude about pretty much all Chinese business these days, why not simply support an American company and keep Marty in business? I’m not on the payroll but, if I could make a living selling the caliber of equipment I have seen from guys like Owens and Unknown BBQ, I’d do it in a heartbeat! Honest, hardworking people deserve OUR support!
End rant

Owens BBQ. Marty's a good guy. Good, prompt service.

Cliff: Your absolutely right about Marty, I bought one of the first Vortexes available from Marty. He said they should be ready for sale in a few months and I will email you when they are.
He stuck to his promise, he emailed me.. and the rest is history.

I completely understand the desire for the dog bowl “Fautex” but, when the guy that came up with the idea and tooling has spent the time to get it the way he feels it works at its best, he deserves to stay in business through customer support. The dog bowl mod is all well and good but, they are made in China and given the attitude about pretty much all Chinese business these days, why not simply support an American company and keep Marty in business? I’m not on the payroll but, if I could make a living selling the caliber of equipment I have seen from guys like Owens and Unknown BBQ, I’d do it in a heartbeat! Honest, hardworking people deserve OUR support!
End rant

Nicely said Timothy, I just bought another one.

I got my first one at Owens also for $40.00 + shipping. Got my second one at Walmart a stainless steel dog bowl for $1.88 and cut the bottom off it. They both work exactly the same. I've used both at least twenty times each and they both are holding up very well.

Hi What size bowl did you buy for your vortex? I have a WSM 22".
Thanks Dan

Back