Instant Pot: Chicken Mole

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I know that a few of you have acquired IP's, so thought I'd post this recipe here for anyone who is interested. This was my first time making this recipe, and it turned out great! Given the number of ingredients and time required to make "authentic" mole, this recipe provided a much quicker and easier route to a result that me and my family all thought was really good!!! The recipe is HERE.

I frequently find that "internet" recipes (I know, broadly generalized category!) often lack a little flavor punch, so I made three modifications to the recipe. I added one guajillo and one ancho chile that I de-seeded and tore into small pieces. I also added one small square of unsweetened baker's chocolate, and 2 teaspoons of ground cumin. Since I didn't make the recipe as written, I don't know how they compare, but given the result, I won't make it without these additions when I make it again (and I WILL make this again!)

I made this with chicken breast instead of thighs (my poultry acquisition team was in a rush, and grabbed the wrong parts), so I dropped the time to 13 minutes. Also, I typically will drop recommended times for boneless/skinless thighs to 16-18 minutes. After blending, the mole sauce was smooth and incredibly flavorful. I don't know about authentic, but it sure passed my and my family's taste tests!

Only got one pic:

27802216359_4f7c9caa31_h.jpg

Give it a whirl.....if you like mole, I think you'll like this version which can bring it into a weeknight repertoire.

Rich

I don't care for mole BUT I'm pleased you found the meal/process to your liking :) Thanks for posting this Rich.

Pammi bought a Power Cooker, the WM knockoff IP. She's been canning up a storm and loving the pressure cooker mode!
I've had mole a few times and thought it was really good. I may have to show her that recipe and see what she thinks.

I saw a mole recipe from ATK I wanted to try, seems the insta pot would be a great way to make the mole. I've done it all on the grill (simmered the sauce on it), that's good too, but options!

I made mole once from scratch. I think it called for something like 9,000 different chiles and spices. Took me three evenings, toasting and grinding various things. Finally I put it all together and it was awful. I don't know if I messed up or if it was just a bad recipe, but I never went through that again.

Perhaps I'll give this recipe a try since in the IP it shouldn't take days.

I made mole once from scratch. I think it called for something like 9,000 different chiles and spices. Took me three evenings, toasting and grinding various things. Finally I put it all together and it was awful. I don't know if I messed up or if it was just a bad recipe, but I never went through that again.

Perhaps I'll give this recipe a try since in the IP it shouldn't take days.

LOL :)

here's the one I was looking at earlier (maybe not as good). Might have to refresh the page to get it to work, or maybe it won't.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/episode/509-mexican-mole-and-drunken-beans

OT: (((sorry Rich, I don't mean to hijack your thread)))

Needs a paid membership. Enough free ones out there don't need to pay for this.

Press refresh a time or two or try a different browser. I signed up for their trial membership but only logged in on one or maybe 2 PCs, and on only 1 or 2 browsers. I checked on diff browsers on diff computers, including my phone, and it played after a refresh.

OT: (((sorry Rich, I don't mean to hijack your thread)))

Hijack away, Clint! Your penance is making the mole recipe and letting me know what you think! Extra points if you serve it with fresh, homemade flour tortillas! :)

Rich

Back