Time warp Genesis Silver A

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Here’s another two-burner that I came across on OfferUp. A time warp and total opposite of the junker I posted the other day:

https://offerup.co/lLdq/f4mYjGNRwJ

Asking price seems somewhat fair if you really like the Genesis in this configuration. How many can there be of this vintage in virtually unused condition? Even if you got a typical one for $30 to $50, could you get it looking like this for a total cost of any less? Interesting...but I will have to just watch to see how fast it goes until I can finish and sell some existing projects:(.

Far better grill than the latest offerings from Weber and that does not even look like it was ever used. For $150 that would be a great buy

Yeah, Larry, I definitely agree. Pretty interesting find. I wish I had more space, funds and time:eek:. I am still tempted...

Just saw someone listing on CL a nice stainless Genesis 300 with the E-W burners PLUS a decent appearing WSM, plus two propane tanks under a vague listing “grill and smoker” for a TOTAL of $150 obo and not that far from here. I am going to sell me Genesis 330 SE (N-S), but at this price I could resell the WSM and with leftover parts I already own have a great E-W Genesis for hardly anything. I have taken note of your comments about rotisseries working a lot better in this type. I would like to learn that art, and this Genesis is IMO kind of the last gasp of the “real” Weber company. So, I am strongly tempted again!

Last edited:
Yeah, Larry, I definitely agree. Pretty interesting find. I wish I had more space, funds and time:eek:. I am still tempted...

Just saw someone listing on CL a nice stainless Genesis 300 with the E-W burners PLUS a decent appearing WSM, plus two propane tanks under a vague listing “grill and smoker” for a TOTAL of $150 obo and not that far from here. I am going to sell me Genesis 330 SE (N-S), but at this price I could resell the WSM and with leftover parts I already own have a great E-W Genesis for hardly anything. I have taken note of your comments about rotisseries working a lot better in this type. I would like to learn that art, and this Genesis is IMO kind of the last gasp of the “real” Weber company. So, I am strongly tempted again!

FWIW, I'd say that the last "real Weber" would be the Gold/Silver A/B/C line with open cart that ended in about 2004. 2005 introduced closed cart design IIRC and that's where trouble started.

FWIW, I'd say that the last "real Weber" would be the Gold/Silver A/B/C line with open cart that ended in about 2004. 2005 introduced closed cart design IIRC and that's where trouble started.

Yes, that is pretty much true. I guess I was trying to qualify with my “last gasp” part of the comment. My understanding is that the “E-W” Genesis 300s were designed and built while Weber was still family owned. Though bigger, they still had the classic Genesis burner and starter layout. Unfortunately, the closed cart design and use of painted steel parts on the cart were definitely the source of many rust nightmares. The use of casters in all four legs with poor drainage was another bad design, at least in my opinion.

To be fair, though, Weber was already offering closed in carts on some of those later Genesis Silvers and Golds. I think the competition from bigger, flashy, cheap stainless grills imported from China put pressure on them to make the Genesis look more “substantial”. Even earlier, Summits and even the rare Genesis 5000 had closed in carts as well.

I think Weber did learn a lesson in all this. At least the new Genesis IIs give you a choice. It also brings back the classic two-wheel and two casters design.

Still Available!

I guess there aren't many in my area interested in a Genesis Silver that looks like it came out of the Time Tunnel (if you remember back to the sixties!:rolleyes:). Still listed asking $170. I am recovering from an over-eager spree of grill parts, a kettle with a Slow-N-Sear and a great deal on a Q3200 in the last couple months... Have to work on finishing projects and selling before any new adventures.

Would love to see this unusual example wind up in the hands of a true Weber fan.

The Seller has never even taken the white plastic 'shipping' covers off of the doors! looks like a new one!

The Seller has never even taken the white plastic 'shipping' covers off of the doors! looks like a new one!

I was wondering what that was! Wow, fresh fresh stainless, the doors are probably worth $150!

I was wondering what that was! Wow, fresh fresh stainless, the doors are probably worth $150!

I agree with everyone that this seems to be an incredible find - truly a time-warp, but the lack of buyers seems to show that the market may be very limited. And that is sad because this would be WAY better than any $300 to $400 off-brand piece of junk for sale at the big box stores.

I agree with everyone that this seems to be an incredible find - truly a time-warp, but the lack of buyers seems to show that the market may be very limited. And that is sad because this would be WAY better than any $300 to $400 off-brand piece of junk for sale at the big box stores.

I doubt anyone reading your analysis would disagree. Sadly, the people who could benefit from that gem are not on this forum!

Back