Temp probe interchangeability

Fred BW

TVWBB Fan
I'm looking at ALL of the automatic temp controllers. Since the temp probes seem to be a problem area with most all of them. I am kind of wondering if any are interchangeable. I am looking at the fireboss 200 And pitmaster IQ110 closest.
I have a Thermoworks smoke,and have heard,and experienced their probes as being pretty reliable. So i am wondering if anyone knows if Smoke probes work on any of the Temp controllers. That would be a huge plus in my mind. In case a controller probe failed i could use a "smoke' probe as a spare. Plus if one of these companies goes under,it would be nice to know probes might be available elsewhere.
Anyone Know???? TIA.... Fred

Fred BW,

First look at the manufacturer's literature. The type of probe, might be listed. A type K thermocouple, most likely is the most common. This is where it gets sticky! The material (metal) used for connections must be correct for a particular type probe. The firmware used in the measuring device must be correct for that type of measuring probe. And of course the connector at the end of the probe wire would have to be compatible.

Flameboss uses a different type thermocouple, it is not type K.

To add more confusion.........then there are RTD measuring device probes.

So, plugging in a probe from one company to another, could lead to a failed unit. Going that route requires research.

To get a warm fuzzy feeling if you try: Stick the probe into a mixture of crushed ice and then into boiling water, see if the temps are correct.

Regards,
CraigH in La Pine

Hi All,

Took a look at Flameboss: My FlameBoss 100 U is said to use "Industrial duty platinum resistance thermometer probes". Long ago in another life we use platnel II thermocouples in what is called a reformer furnace. Temperatures inside were a steady 1500 degrees F. Rosemount transmitters were used with a special curve, factory installed. The transmitters sent a signal back to a DCS (distributed control system).

I had several black boxes full of fancy toys to calibrate this type of equipment. Trust me, it was a real joy to make sure everything was just right:eek: The wrong type of metal connections introduced reference junction error, then there is also cold junction compensation. In critical measurements & circuits we used dual element thermocouples or RTD's. If one burned out, the spare was already in place. Only had to move a couple wires.

Will have to place my money on the manufacturer, they know what they are doing.

Pick a winner on the purchase of a unit, keep a couple spare probes.

Regards,
CraigH in La Pine.

Hi All,

Took a look at Flameboss: My FlameBoss 100 U is said to use "Industrial duty platinum resistance thermometer probes". Long ago in another life we use platnel II thermocouples in what is called a reformer furnace. Temperatures inside were a steady 1500 degrees F. Rosemount transmitters were used with a special curve, factory installed. The transmitters sent a signal back to a DCS (distributed control system).

I had several black boxes full of fancy toys to calibrate this type of equipment. Trust me, it was a real joy to make sure everything was just right:eek: The wrong type of metal connections introduced reference junction error, then there is also cold junction compensation. In critical measurements & circuits we used dual element thermocouples or RTD's. If one burned out, the spare was already in place. Only had to move a couple wires.

Will have to place my money on the manufacturer, they know what they are doing.

Pick a winner on the purchase of a unit, keep a couple spare probes.

Regards,
CraigH in La Pine.

Sounds like good advise. Too bad. I"m kind of surprised Theromworks doesn't have a controller. Thanks for the responses:D

Fred BW,

If you ran your smoker 24/7 and never let it cool down the probes would last longer. Insert a smiley here! It is the heat then cool cycles that get the probes. Reminds me, I don't have spares for either the Flame Boss or ET 732.

It would be interesting to know the failure mode. Is it the thermocouple or the wire? Left the black boxes at work over a decade ago. Guess I will never know.

Murphy gonna get me yet.

Regards,
CraigH in La Pine

PS: Just took a quick look at Smoke Thermoworks. Didn't see the type of probe listed. If a person had the voltage tables for types of thermocouples, the probe could be placed in a known temperature liquid bath. Check the voltage, then the type of thermocouple would be found using the voltage tables. After that the plug end has to be compatible when mixing & matching. A person could end up with quite a pile of probes playing this game.

Last edited:

Back