Semi boneless leg of lamb? How?

Troy S

TVWBB Fan
Didn't find much through Google.

Anyway, I've never eaten lamb before. That's going to change soon. A trip to my local grocery store found a $28 "semi boneless lamb leg" marked down to $11. It's about 2-3 lbs. Figured I'd give it a shot at that price.

Tips/advice of all kinds? Thinking of smoking it on my kettle and searing it to finish medium rare, but what do you more knowledgeable folks think? I'm completely clueless.

I would recommend getting some mint jelly to eat it with. Adds a good flavor. I smoked a leg of lamb on my wsm last year. If you look in the recipe section I listed all that I did. It came out pretty good. Definitely keep it on the medium rare side of things. It is a very tender meat so use a light smoke.

Skip the mint jelly, buy a nice bottle of Barolo! I grew up with mint jelly and lamb, I didn’t like it as a kid, I cannot even look at it as an adult. Sorry Matty.
I generally go indirect on my kettle after a little red wine/balsamic vinegar/rosemary marinade. Just a little garlic.
Roast some baby potatoes and a beautiful salad, enjoy the wine and your company. I just picked up a semi boneless leg yesterday, I have to save it for guest, my wife isn’t a big fan.

Smoked a pretty good sized 1 for 6-7 hrs on my offset,turned out great,have forgotten what rub I used though,I really should have started a journal when I started smoking things back in the 80's :(

I would recommend getting some mint jelly to eat it with. Adds a good flavor. I smoked a leg of lamb on my wsm last year. If you look in the recipe section I listed all that I did. It came out pretty good. Definitely keep it on the medium rare side of things. It is a very tender meat so use a light smoke.

I worked in a classy restaurant when I was a teenager, everything from dishwasher to chef. We served lamb dishes with a little cup of mint jelly. I never could understand that. I figured it was some kind of tradition, like a piece of parsely on top of a steak or something. Anyway, we went through quite a bit of mint jelly, but I don't think one of those little cups ever came back empty.

Use mint sauce instead of jelly. It helps cut the grease from the lamb simllar to why you put vinegar on fries--to cut the grease. Enhancing the flavour is a side benefit ;)

Sorry Len, mint stuff with lamb still does not snap my cap. It was something my Grandmother really loved but, I thought it was awful. But, then again, back then the lamb was cooked to death. A little mango chutney is much better, IMHO.

Back