Help with this one...

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Here's a beater that I saw today on Craigslist:

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/for/d/grill/6440847485.html

351sm5i.jpg

Do you think this is an early 2-burner Spirit or is it something else?

What do you make of his comment about a side burner? Hard to make anything out in the picture. I didn't think that the two-burner grills even offered this option.

Obviously needs serious frame work, but for 20 bucks it it still worth it? I have never been into the two-burner grills, but I have read where LMichaels has reviewed them very favorably. Kind of a long trip for me, but...

Last edited:
It looks like an old Genesis Silver A. Not sure about this one or it's description. Also look at what should be the left front leg. It appears to be a wooden 1x1 like a deck spindle. These can be nice little grills. My wife loved the one I had now my friend's son loves it LOL. I would not drove very far or long to even bother looking at it honestly

It looks like an old Genesis Silver A. Not sure about this one or it's description. Also look at what should be the left front leg. It appears to be a wooden 1x1 like a deck spindle. These can be nice little grills. My wife loved the one I had now my friend's son loves it LOL. I would not drove very far or long to even bother looking at it honestly

Larry,
Thanks for weighing in. I agree that it is not worth it. I can't imagine what he is talking about regarding an outside burner, but this one wouldn't be worth the effort to get it.

Jon

Jon: If it isn't too far away, I would check it out. Offer $10. I think the guy knows it isn't worth much but probably wants to get something with the new cooking grates in it. He may just give it to you for free so he doesn't have to pay to dump it. Even if you wind up parting it out, it is worth $20.

I have one that looks a lot like that. I think it is a Spirit 500 or something like that. All I did to it was clean it up inside quick and it works great. I took it on a trip to a cabin up north last summer and used it every day. It is pretty beat up but solid. It looks like yours would need some repair on the frame. It looks like they have a wood splint on it now. hahaha. But, I think a couple steel brackets and bolts might solve the issue for a few bucks.

If all you are looking for is a good cooking machine for a great price, that might be the ticket. But, if you have a bigger budget, I would wait and keep looking for something a bit more solid and complete.

I don't know for sure what the reference to the external burner is all about, but that one clearly doesn't have one. I am thinking he was reading something off of an owners manual or online that didn't pertain directly to the grill he has. If you point that out to him, and show some dissapointment, my guess is he will say, sure $10 or just take the damn thing off my hands.

Bottom line though is the tank with propane is probably worth the $20 alone.

I love my silver A. I also think it's probably worth 20 bucks. My only reservation would be as Lmichaels said that front leg doesn't look right.

I love my silver A. I also think it's probably worth 20 bucks. My only reservation would be as Lmichaels said that front leg doesn't look right.

All I can say about that is "Mr. Dillon Mr. Dillon" Not sure who on here is old enough to remember that LOL

I admit I had to Google that one! I was only one, but very fun song from a much nicer time.

Thanks, guys, for the good ideas. Since I have more than exhausted my grill budget in last few months, I think I better concentrate on finishing some of my backlog and selling some things first. This one could probably see new life with help from someone who can weld in some replacement metal. On the other hand, I don't think it is unusual enough to warrant that much effort - or that long of a drive. I already have a two burner Spirit (the early 2000s model with the blue/gray fold-up table), and it has more potential to make usable.

Jon, it wasn't a "song" it was a reference to the TV Western "Gunsmoke" and a character on it from the 1950s named Chester played by Dennis Weaver. He had a wooden leg and would always gimp around yelling "Mr Dillon Mr. Dillon" He was also in Steven Spielbergs's very first movie called "Duel" He pays an ordinary guy who is driving out west somewhere and becomes the subject of a "possessed" semi truck that begins chasing him. Actually a good film

Duel is a really good movie. I remember watching it when I was learning to drive and it really creeped me out.

Jon, it wasn't a "song" it was a reference to the TV Western "Gunsmoke" and a character on it from the 1950s named Chester played by Dennis Weaver. He had a wooden leg and would always gimp around yelling "Mr Dillon Mr. Dillon" He was also in Steven Spielbergs's very first movie called "Duel" He pays an ordinary guy who is driving out west somewhere and becomes the subject of a "possessed" semi truck that begins chasing him. Actually a good film

Wow! Sorry for misinterpretation but there really was a song about Gunsmoke’s Marshall Dillon (who I remember a little bit) that was called Mr. Dillon, Mr. Dillon.

Now I get what you were saying and why it is a good one:eek:!

Back