Rotisserie

THyde

TVWBB Guru
Hello everyone!

I've been coveting a rotisserie for a while now, and there is one near me for $10 on Craigslist. There is no motor, and they are checking to see what model it is and whether it has mounting brackets.

How difficult is it to replace the motor?

Are they battery powered or AC?

Thank you in advance!

Tim

PS here is the roti: I have a Genesis 2000, if anyone can tell visually if this roti will work, that would be much appreciated too!

https://allentown.craigslist.org/hsh/d/weber-grill-rotisserie/6424408309.html

That looks like one for a Genesis. Motor is pretty standard many grills used the same one. I think it's a 3/8" square drive. It only requires one bracket. Which is what holds the motor. The shaft rests in a notch on the fire box

I have that same basket. That is an absolute steal for $10!

The basket fits my Genesis EP 320 perfectly, so if the dimensions of the 2000 are the same as for the 300 series, then it should fit fine.

The motor is AC. As far as I know you can't buy the motor separately at any of the big box retailers. Best option would be to give Weber a call and order one.

That is the roto that I have on my Genesis 1000. Works great. I see motors on craigslist every so often. But you can buy a replacement online.

Here is one that is supposed to be pretty good.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0043C5ZDI/tvwb-20

Most of them are AC powered. If you are considering a battery powered one, DONT. I couldn't imagine batteries lasting very long with one. Besides, you don't want to be swapping out batteries half way through a cook and most rotisserie cooks are several hours long.

Check out this thread regarding my rotisserie which looks to be the exact same model as yours.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?71210-Rotisserie-doesn-t-fit

Thanks everyone for the information!

I guess I'll take a ride out there pretty soon and grab it.

LM: Thank you, I did not know there is only 1 bracket. And for $15 I can get one off of Amazon anyway, so that is just fine.

Brian, thank you very good information. I have an "old" 2000, but it sounds like this is the rotisserie I've been dreaming of!

Bruce, thank you, I wouldn't even get one if it were battery powered. I should have said I was "confirming" they are AC.

Maybe now I'll get inspired to run electrics out by the NG output, hook up this roti AND the enormous floodlights I've been wanting to install, the roti being AC will be a perfect excuse!

Thanks again guys,

Tim

You mean you're going to be like my obnoxious neighbors with their ginormous flood lights and spot lights. When we moved out to the country subdivision it was so enjoyable to look up and see the sky and stars not any more. Now I have these obnoxious people with huge lights all over their houses ugh. I have 2 spots over my deck pointed down at the grill(s) and that is it. Out front currently running blue LED bulbs to show support for the police (since the nearby city of Rockford recently lost a young officer in line of duty). I understand the need for lights but over the top is unnecessary. This past early fall my son in law and daughter held an open house and some of their new neighbors stopped by. Surprised to see what the house looked like inside. So we asked them why. They indicated what with all the flood lights and commercial 600watt sodium vapor lights on the roof pointing into the back yard, huge speakers all over the outside, they simply referred to the old neighbor as the a$$hole that used to live there. We all had a very good laugh and I counseled the kids privately. Hopefully they'll take it all to heart. I think they did though. Daughter says son in law hangs out with neighbors quite often and they even partied with them on NY Eve. They don't turn on the weird lights and loud speakers LOL/ Moral of this diatribe? Lights are necessary and serve a purpose, music is nice when you're outside also. DOn't over do it

Haha, I understand completely. We live in an urban neighborhood, so light pollution is not a concern. My plan is to install one or two flood lights with an outside switch so I can use them while grilling, not all the time. We also have had some break ins in the neighborhood, so outside lighting is actually welcomed since it tends to deter the petty theives (they mostly break into unlocked cars). I'm not going over the top at all, I just want a light out by the grill so I can see what I'm doing. Right now I typically use a "head light" or whatever you call the kind of light that straps on to your head. It would be great to have an outside light to be able to see what I am cooking, not to light up the neighborhood! The switch outside would allow me to turn it on when I am out there. Plus, the grill is kind of behind some structure, so I doubt the light bulb would even be visible from the street. Very discreet!

Haha I guess I did say "enormous" ... I don't mean oversized. I mean enormous, like, I can't wait to install these lights. It's going to be huge, "enormous". I can't see what I'm cooking out there!

Just an fyi, buy that's an E-Z-Que and you have to be careful as there were/are a couple different models, each having different length baskets. For example, the one made to fit the Genny Gold/Silver gassers won't fit a 22in kettle. The basket itself is too long. If this one happens to be the shorter one that fits the 22, it's not a deal breaker necessarily as the rods on each end can come off and you can purchase longer ones to fit For $10, it's worth the risk regardless.

Thanks Dave, noted. I'm willing to risk ten bucks. Now the challenge is the wily seller. It's always an adventure on Craigslist.

Slainte!

Tim

So I went out and picked up the rotisserie basket. It's in fine shape. Now all I need are a motor and a bracket.

Thanks again for the help, this is going to be a whole new way of grilling!

Edit: I just ordered a Weber 9890 motor with bracket ... here's to hoping this just works out and the parts all work together!

Last edited:
I think the basket you have is part #9891 so I am sure the motor will work fine with it. How much did you pay and where did you get it?

I think the basket you have is part #9891 so I am sure the motor will work fine with it. How much did you pay and where did you get it?

I paid $10 for the basket and $30 for the motor and bracket. I think forty bucks all in is a great deal! I'll be sure to update when the motor and bracket arrive.

I got mine, motor and roto for $30. Guy was asking $40 on CL and I asked if he would take $30. Yep, but I had to drive about 40 miles.

What model of grill will you be using it on?

I got mine, motor and roto for $30. Guy was asking $40 on CL and I asked if he would take $30. Yep, but I had to drive about 40 miles.

What model of grill will you be using it on?

An old rehabbed 3000 that I turned into a 2000. I like having 2 side tables and never used the side burner.

Bruce, I did see your clever modification during my rotisserie reading. Very good idea!

I'll end up doing either nothing or something, I can't know until the motor and bracket arrive.

Mostly, I'm interested in a chicken cooking recipe for starters, I've never rotisseried in my life, and look forward to changing that!

I'm thinking very simple to start with, and slow and low in the front of mind.

If anyone has a recommendation for a "foolproof" first rotisserie chicken plan, I'm all ears (and wings, thighs, breasts, et cetera)!

Look up the "Roadside Chicken" threads. That actually is the first thing I did on my rotisserie. I did a couple of them and the Weber roto works great for them.

Thank you sir! I now have a recipe for this weekend's inaugural rotisserie cook, thank you again!

Tim

Back