Propane conversion! Help needed

Dave Evans

Hello, I'm at my wit's end with this. I have a 1997 Weber 900 Spirit natural gas grill.
I want to convert it to PROPANE :)
This BBQ is family to me, it's important to me to keep it, it was my wife's mother then ours, I lost my wife in March to cancer and since moved, so I need to convert it to LP.
I for the life of me cannot find anyone to sell me the proper propane orifices, and proper regulator for a portable tank. There 3/8" hex head.
I've tried calling and talking to Grill-repair.com/majestic but the guy is very uncooperative, almost to the point of being rude, with basically 1 syllable,could care less responses..?? and the website will not allow me to select gas or propane orifices, that I can't figure out either.
So I'm looking to anyone here whom can tell me or sell me the correct orifices and regulator!
Then I can get this little gem going, and share some grilling ideas with others here.
Any help appreciated,and can reply to either here or directly, thanks again.

LMicheals on here is good with conversions. However, you might be better off looking for a donor grill that is already set up for propane. If you want to keep the original grill, you should be able to swap over the manifold and hose from the donor grill and be ready to grill. A grill in that age range will likely be very cheap or even free. If you are in S. California, there should still be a lot of grilling going on and the supply of used grills on craigslist and facebook should be good.

But, if you just want to swap out regulators and orifices, then try a PM to LMichaels if he does see this thread and chime in before hand.

Someone help me out as I am unfamiliar with Spirit 900. Is it the same as a Genesis 1000? If so it should not be too hard to convert but if it is the same the only trouble you'll find is the valves. If you put LP sized orifices on it you will still have "issues" because your low and medium settings will be substantially too "high" or "hot". So there are 2 solutions to that. One is "live with it" since it's not "dangerous" only inconvenient. The other is to swap the entire manifold. This is the best solution since if you ever have NG again you can just swap back. Maybe post a photo of the grill

No I don't think it will. It looks like that has a shallow 1 row fire box and matching manifold. OP perhaps take that manifold out and put some photos up online. There is a possibility since many of the 1 row units had continuously variable valves yours may also which means it will be easy to convert. I could probably do it for you for the cost of shipping and a small fee.

When ordering from the website, you don't have to select NG or Propane for pre drilled orifices as they require that you but a regulator as well, which will tell them which style you need. Just add the orifices to cart along with an LPG regulator and you should be set.

Great! Thanks for the help, I knew I came to the right place. Looks like a couple viable options. I'll see about taking some photos.

PROOF they don't make them like this anymore, this BBQ has been outdoors uncovered and exposed in Palm Springs area for almost 20 years, subjected to U.V. and 120° + degree summers.

THIS BBQ LOOKS NO MORE THAN A FEW YEARS OLD! The paint is still hard and glossy,n o fading of writing etc... the plastic is not deteriorated..just a damn good grill. The wood needs a new coat of grey stain/paint. But really...I've viewed 100s of BBQs over the years in others houses that are frankly, just disposable after just a couple years.

Thanks, again. I'll be back as I progress with this

Dave, The biggest issues with these grills if they are in coastal areas with humidity and salty air causing the frame and internals to rust out. Since you basically live in the desert, it isn't surprising that the grill is in great shape. They do handle the sun well. Just FYI, the control panel and the coating on the lid are likely ceramic and not paint. It is extremely hard and weather resistant but is prone to cracking or chipping with a sharp blow. If you want to clean that stuff up nice, use some simple green or other cleaner and some #0000 steel wool. It will look brand new.

A 1000 manifold will not fit on the 900.

I *do* have a propane 900 manifold, though.... I had a 900 come and go earlier this summer:

36380585253_475e23e30c_b.jpg

While I'm on the opposite coast, it might fit inside a USPS flat rate box.

Right. If the 900 is a single row unit then I'll lay odds any B or C model manifold will work just fine

That was my guess too. It seems that Weber didn't change all that much of the actual grill design from the early 90's all the way to mid 2000's

Back