Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got to stop my day dreaming

I got to stop my day dreaming

I am doing a few racks of ribs on my Genny 1000 with rotisserie this afternoon. I have my Thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer tracking my internal cookbox temps and keep the remote with me to monitor any lows and highs in temps. But, I was thinking I should go out and see if the smoke is still coming out of it or if I need to reload the smoker box. It is nice not having to go out and check it very often on cold days like today.

Then I get to thinking, maybe I should install a surveillance camera pointing at my grill that I can monitor with my smart phone to monitor things like smoke output, flare ups, rotisserie operation, etc......

Then, I woke up to reality. But this kind of coooold weather sure promotes some off hand thinking.
    Genesis 1000-Redhead Q100 Q1400

The Thermoworks Smoke sure beats sleeping out on the couch with an alarm going off every half hour to get me up out in the back yard to see how my all-night pork shoulder is doing!

In my case it is avoiding mosquitoes, hot sticky air, and wondering what is slithering out there in my yard in the wee hours of the AM...Maybe a surveillance camera with motion sensor to boot!
    Genesis 330-SE, Q200 Performer , 2 kettles, Green Egg, Orion Cooker & restoring a Genesis 1000 and 3000.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Boo hoo! Part of the fun is lifting the lid, having a look, and going back inside!

I'm being facetious of course, it's pretty cold here in PA too, but at least when you lift the lid there's a little heat you can grab for a second!

Snow in Tallahassee, but not likely to get to freezing in my part if South Florida. Enjoyed grilling out in the very cool air tonight - a refreshing change!
    Genesis 330-SE, Q200 Performer , 2 kettles, Green Egg, Orion Cooker & restoring a Genesis 1000 and 3000.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Enjoy sir!

We are in bitter cold conditions up North, with a weekend of worse temperatures forecast. The grill can overcome the cold, but gol dang: It's COLD!!!

Yah, I did ribs yesterday on my grill. The high was ten.

It's why I have at least one in the garage and 2 on the deck. On pleasant days with no precipitation deck grill(s) are used with garage as "backup". ON bad days garage grill(s) are used. Though I have not had time to get after converting that Genesis I bought a while back to LP from NG. Then I'll need to find another rotisserie for that one as I gave my Genesis rotisserie setup to son in law.

I grilled some steaks last night in 10 degree weather. They turned out great.

One of the things I like best about my 2 weber grills is the minimal flare ups. In frigid Temps I'm able to throw something on and go back inside for a while. With my old pre weber grills (char broil, kenmore, members mark ) unless I constantly watched over what I was grilling it was likely to get incinerated by a flare up. Consequently I just didn't grill much in the winter.

Yah, yesterday when I did my ribs, they worked out great, except for the final ten minute glaze. I put them on high after basting with BBQ sauce and went back in 5 minutes to check and had a roaring fire going. Needless to say, the BBQ sauce was a little beyond the "glaze" stage, but they were good still. I think my mistake was three burners on High. If it hadn't been so cold out, I would have stayed out there and watched them closer.

TVWBB Pro
    It's 1 degree outside...I checked the mail today.
    Bill: WSM 22.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 : Maverick ET-733 : BHG Gas Grill: His & Hers John Deere Lawn Tractors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast