RIP Konrad Haskins, Teddy Bear's BBQ, BBQ Institute Ozark

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I was doing some account maintenance today and learned that TVWBB member Konrad Haskins passed away on March 23, 2014 at the age of just 51. Konrad was an early member of our community, joining in April 2002. He was a prolific WSM enthusiast who competed under the name Teddy Bear BBQ and ran successful BBQ cooking classes and a BBQ restaurant. Konrad was instrumental in teaching Harry Soo as he started his BBQ journey, so you know the guy had skills. His last visit on TVWBB was in 2012.

From a webpage promoting some of his accomplishments:

"Learn from Grand Champion Pitmaster Konrad Haskins. In addition to winning BBQ contests all over the US and Canada, he has appeared on TV, Food Network, Radio and Newspapers including the Wall Street Journal. Konrad’s love of barbecue started by watching his Oupa (granddad) cooking whole steers on a spit when he was 5 years old in South Africa. After a lifetime of backyard BBQ he started winning contests in 2002 and turned pro in 2003. His experience includes founding and running Teddy Bear’s BBQ restaurant and catering company in Monroe, Washington. The BBQ Institute was founded in 2004 and has been teaching classes in Texas since 2006. Students travel from all over the United States and the world to take our BBQ class. All classes come with tech support so you are not alone when you try it at home."

Rest in peace, Konrad! You were a good egg!

LqiUkgr.jpg

I realize this is a couple years old but just found out via this post that Konrad passed. I took Konrad's BBQ class in 2010 at his BBQ Restaurant in Duvall Wa. It was a small and intimate class and Konrad did all his demonstrations on a Weber Ranch Kettle and he was truly gifted on the grill. I took away so many tips and tricks and a great resource book full of Konrad's personal recipes. I still go to that book frequently which made me think of him just now and google his name to check on his current status.

:ranchkettle:

A old post, however I just found it. I am happy to have known Konrad. I am fortunate to now own his Rancher, an 18" and 22.5" WSM as well as many other of his items. I only hope I do it justice when I cook on the equipment using the knowledge he past on to me. I wear a Teddy Bear BBQ pin many times as I cook.
RIP Konrad.

Fant Steele

Back