Bosch dishwashers

JKalchik

TVWBB Gold Member
This might be a little out of scope for the forum. If it is, feel free to remove it.

https://boschdishpowercord.com/

On October 19, 2017 BSH Home Appliances Corporation, in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Health Canada, voluntarily agreed to expand its 2015 safety recall to replace the power cords on certain models of Bosch® brand dishwashers. The Bosch brand dishwashers affected by this safety recall expansion were manufactured from September 2012 through January 2015 and sold through appliance and specialty retailers in the United States and Canada.

There are more now that are covered, something more than 633,000 units affected.

I found out last night at a party about this recall. I haven't been notified by Bosch, and I'm fairly sure that our dishwasher was registered for warranty coverage. Have to make a call on Tuesday about a repair.

Better info at https://www.cpsc.gov/recalls/2018/bsh-home-appliances-expands-recall-of-dishwashers.
Looks like these units were manufactured under contract for Bosch, Gaggenau, Jenn-Air and Thermador.

Last edited:
Almost bought a Bosch last spring. Ended up going with a Kitchenaid. As Len said, its always good to be made aware of this stuff.

I'll have to let my brother know about this, they have two of them in their kitchen.

I usually work on my own appliances, depending on what the problem is. Replacing that cord probably isn't that complicated but for the sake of warranty you probably want a professional to do it if it's covered. I wonder how much money they saved with slightly less copper in those cables.

First time I ever heard of a plug in cord on a built in dishwasher. The norm is it's hardwired by an electrician with a 14g whip back to the junction box.
One of these https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FGWU2P0/tvwb-20 you need an outlet, and replacement seems pretty easy, just remove the old one and insert a new one.
But you have to remove the dishwasher and reinstall it so that's a pain for folks that paid for it in the beginning.

Tim

Last edited:
IIRC, it's just an outlet at the rear of the cavity. Timothy, that does look like it, and rigged the same as the old dishwasher it replaced (1993 GE?) But, like Dustin said, warranty & insurance coverages. BSH's supplier shorted them on just a tiny little bit per cord, they can take care of fixing it. I doubt I have a problem, the biggest draw should be for a heater inside the washer, and my water heater is already cranked up pretty hot.

And 5 weeks later, the repair is completed. Apparently, the shop I called really is a small shop but fairly close by (almost a century in business.) They've been busy with no heat & furnace problems this winter, that I have no problem with.

Turns out my dishwasher did have a junction box in the back of the cavity, did take a few minutes to replace. Still didn't take long to replace, and the replacement assembly was visually indistinguishable from the original.

Back