Smokey Joe platinum help

Brent S

I made the mistake of buying the smokey joe gold, not platinum, with the side vents instead of the silver with the bottom vents and as many others have found out, it doesn't work that well. I am wanting to do the bottom air damper mod on the bowl but can't find anywhere in Canada to purchase one. I have even contacted weber and they don't sell the part in Canada. Getting it shipped here from the US isn't much cheaper that buying a silver so that doesn't make much sence. I bought the platinum because of the handle feature but at at this piont it looks like the only way I can fix this it to buy a silver and use the parts of one another to create what I want. Seems a shame to have to do. Is there another mod idea that can be done to fix this poor air flow problem.

Last edited:
Brent,

I took a top vent plate from a 22" grill and used it as a template to drill the bottom vent holes on a Smokey Joe Platinum. Then I secured it with a lock not. Your Smokey Joe Gold only has the side vents like my platinum. You could also use a 22" top vent plate or find the bottom vent plate from a Smokey Joe Silver; they both will work just fine. All you have to do is bend the plate slightly to conform to the bowl. I have an extra top vent plate if you need one. You can put a small metal dog bowl (upside down), with holes drilled in it on the bottom of your bowl above the vent holes to keep ash from blocking your bottom vent holes.

Smokey Joe Platinum by Alaska Weber Kettle, on Flickr

Mar. APR. '16 369 by Alaska Weber Kettle, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hey Paul
Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the offer on your spare lid vent. I never thought of using a lid vent from a 22' kettle. I would think that I can find one of them in Canada. I found a Canadian site online that sells them for $7 but when I put my adress in the shipping calculator, the shipping is $72. Must be something wrong. I will call them next week and check it out.
Great job on the modification to you smokey joe. Thats the mod I want to do.

I made the mistake of buying the smokey joe gold, not platinum, with the side vents instead of the silver with the bottom vents and as many others have found out, it doesn't work that well. I am wanting to do the bottom air damper mod on the bowl but can't find anywhere in Canada to purchase one. I have even contacted weber and they don't sell the part in Canada. Getting it shipped here from the US isn't much cheaper that buying a silver so that doesn't make much sence. I bought the platinum because of the handle feature but at at this piont it looks like the only way I can fix this it to buy a silver and use the parts of one another to create what I want. Seems a shame to have to do. Is there another mod idea that can be done to fix this poor air flow problem.

Are you at a high altitude? I've used the Smokey Joe Platinum with the side vents at sea level on vacation and it was great to cook on with no problems with keeping it hot or coals going out. I'm thinking maybe people have air flow problems at higher altitudes.

I thought those side vents were better for longer cooks, as the ashes fall on the bottom and don't clog up the vent holes. You may want to consider using it to make a mini-WSM build!

I use a gold for my mini smoker. But if you all remember, the older smokey joes had three vents on the lower sides. Look for pics of them. That is the mod I would do as opposed to the vent on the very bottom.

Back