Prime Rib - Grill Indirect, Roti, or Hight Heat on WSM?

Ron G.

TVWBB Wizard
Thinking of getting a chunk of good Rib Roast to celebrate the new year -

I can think of (3) Good ways to cook it up with the equipment I have at my disposal:

ON PERFORMER:
-Grill it indirect
-Stick it on the Rotisserie

ON WSM:
-Rumor / past posts have it that grilling on WSM at high(is?) heat works well

What would be the "best bet"?

Just cooked a rib eye roast last night indirect on the Performer. Turned out great.

I’m doing one tonight. Kettle, indirect. Coals on both sides, not two zone (I think the exterior browns better that way). Recipe from Weber’s Real Grilling (the one with the bleu cheese sauce, but I’m being lazy and just using bleu cheese dressing).

I did a 10 lbs. boneless rib roast for Christmas. Three hours twenty minutes on the WSM at 225F brought it to 118F internal. I pulled it, covered loosely with foil, covered that with a kitchen towel, and let it sit on top of the stove. Over the next hour the internal rose to 129F. Due to some miscalculations on the timing, it sat there for a couple hours more, eventually cooling to about 110F internal before everything else was ready. I took the middle and top off the WSM and let the still burning coals get nice and hot. I set the grate on top of the charcoal ring and then put the roast back on for a couple minutes per side. The last side didn't get quite the desired time because the fire was too hot and too much grease rendered from the first side, resulting in too much flame. Still it got nicely browned. The inside was uniformly reddish except for maybe a quarter inch around the exterior.

This is the second time I've used the reverse sear technique on a rib roast and I now can't imagine doing it any other way. It's almost foolproof since the slow heat gently brings it up to temp. The rest allows carry-over to bring it to the proper internal temp and stabilize so the final sear doesn't drive the internal temp too high. Since it has already rested you can slice and serve immediately after searing. You could, of course, sear it on the grill or even on the stove top if you have a pan large enough.

The only thing I didn't like was the flame-up when I was searing it. I left the lid off because I wasn't expecting to leave it on for more than a couple minutes. I think it probably would have been better to leave the lid on to tame the flame. Even with the flames the results were excellent.

The rotisserie is nice for a boneless rib roast but if the bones are still attached I prefer indirect grilling or smoking.

I went about 3 hrs on the performer indirect,rested then sliced and grilled my wife's perfectly cooked steak and made it well done,had hickory charcoal and it was the best I have ever had imo,as long as its not burnt to a crisp I could it it any way with hickory smoke in the mix ;)

As long as you get it cooked to your liking its all good.

Gasser Roti.

WSM Roti.

WSM, using a dutch oven.

weber grill Roti.

I must be a total ———, no one has ever invited me over for a feast like that! I’m not so wild about artichokes but, the rest would make me very happy!
Strong work Jeff!

I cooked 2 for Christmas dinner on my WSM 22. No water in the pan, 3.5 hours at 275 for the med rare roast and just over 4 hours for the medium well roast. Everyone raved about it and using the cherry wood added the smoke without hiding the meat. In my opinion, indirect on the grill is great, but can't compete with the taste of the WSM.

I don't think the kettle or the WSM make too much difference between them unless you're going for some smoke than the WSM would be my choice. I 've done both without smoke and really couldn't tell any difference. Can't say on a roti as the only one I have is for my genesis 1000 and I don't use it much anymore if at all.

Back