Insta pot instead of braise - ATK "Mexican Pulled Pork (Carnitas)" recipe mod

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
Insta pot instead of braise - ATK "Mexican Pulled Pork (Carnitas)" recipe mod

I've got a 4# chunk of pork shoulder that's going to be used for the Mexican Pulled Pork (Carnitas) recipe from America's Test Kitchen.

The recipe calls for cutting it into 2" chunks & then braising it in the oven for 2 hours with a little liquid. I'm wondering how much to shorten that for the pressure cooker....... the recipe also calls for simmering the leftover juices (I don't think they defat it), pouring it over the shredded meat, then broiling the coated shredded meat.

I followed an instapot recipe for ribs which called for only 20-25 minutes under pressure (I did 22) and it didn't render enough fat. Maybe I'll try this under pressure for 45 minutes or 1 hour? Only change I plan to make is the pressure cooker instead of a covered pot in the oven.

I made it like ATK's recipe but the above recipe looks really good too.

ATK's variation had simpler spices, water instead of beer (I was drinking cutthroat pale ale last night and almost put it in but didn't want to overpower - a simpler beer or lager might be a good choice here...or maybe I should've used a cutthroat).

2 bay leaves, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp cumin, juice of 1/2 large orange, 2T lime juice, S&P, 1/2 onion (discarded afterwards), pressure cooked the juiced/spent orange peel, discarded the onion, bay leaves, & orange peel.

I cooked it under pressure for 35 minutes, didn't sear (ATK specifically skipped this step but couldn't hurt), then I reduced the juices until they were a thick gravy using the insta pot saute setting (30 minutes at a fairly heavy boil). After the liquids were reduced to a thick gravy, I shredded the cooled pork by hand into the pot, ate more than I should admit (filled up), then spread it out in my oven that was preheated to 350.... baked it for ~8 minutes, stirred, and maybe 7-8 minutes more. The first time, it had browned nicely, the 2nd time I was afraid I burned it but it was perfectly crisped.

Next time I think I might put chopped veggies (onion, jalapeno, sliced carrot?, fajita style) in before it's browned in the oven.

26170537_10211035108135545_525599413794984325_o.jpg

26173865_10211035112735660_1100972991466967424_o.jpg

26116140_10211035115215722_4391413850587605183_o.jpg

Looks just fine to me!

Question: when you were doing it under pressure, I assume it filled the pot to max or close to it. While cooking, was there steam coming out? I'm doing soup right now and it's hi pressure. No steam. But when I touch the release, it spits (so there is pressure).

You get steam released while cooking?

Last edited:
Looks just fine to me!

Question: when you were doing it under pressure, I assume it filled the pot to max or close to it. While cooking, was there steam coming out? I'm doing soup right now and it's hi pressure. No steam. But when I touch the release, it spits (so there is pressure).

You get steam released while cooking?

It releases steam as it's coming to pressure, but once it's sealed it seems to run silently. I've only used it twice and it was like that both times iirc. Yours, I think, is working normally

Mine's the 8 quart, I think I could've fit in a 7# butt, cubed anyway, and still be under the max fill. The 8qt is a lot bigger than I expected.

Thanks. When I popped the hood to add the veg, it was looking good :D so the steam aspect is working as it should. The reason I asked was I remember when my Mom used her stove top unit, with that little cap in place it pushed steam out constantly.

yep - my stove-top pressure cooker is a noisy apparatus........ I can imagine the sound now.

These probably just control the temp more precisely where it's supposed to be, and I'd imagine, if liquid evaporation is any concern, the insta pots lose less than the conventional pressure cookers.

my third or fourth batch of this is underway. I used a 9# boneless roast (trimmed ~1# from it), pretty much just doubled all the spices but 4x'd the bay leaves.

Have some friends coming over in a few to enjoy. I have it set for 45 minutes @ high pressure.

Back