Thread: Restoring a Redhead Performer

TVWBB Pro

Restoring a Redhead Performer

I happened across a cheap SS Performer on Facebook. $40 seemed too good to be true. Turns out the photo didn't reflect its actual condition (which is rough), but I figure this will be a good project to fill the little spare time I have.

The big picture:

The worst of the damage:

Has anyone found a good match for repainting/repairing redheads? Worst case scenario, I may farm out the refinishing of the bowl and lid (there are a number of hot rod shops in the area that do powdercoating). There's also some rust on the frame and a few missing parts (both swivel casters and the one-touch assembly), but the rest is there, including the original 5# propane tank and regulator. The ingnitor may also be missing...didn't specifically check for it. The frame has a good bit of flex to it, but nothing a wrench and a few welds won't fix.
    22.5" WSM , Jumbo Joe , SS Performer , PartyQ and lots of

TVWBB Super Fan
    I don't think i'd bother re- painting that lid. Some people here will recommend some red high heat paint and that's the route I would take. I'd fix everything except the lid and keep an eye out for an old redhead that you can borrow the lid from. I think those master-touch type lids are very rare so you would have to probably settle for a regular lid.
    -------EP-330, DD Performer, Jumbo-Joe, 14" WSM, GWGA-------

Looks like a grill that still has lots of promise to me. Have you had a chance to do anything with it yet?
    Genesis 330-SE, Q200 Performer , 2 kettles, Green Egg, Orion Cooker & restoring a Genesis 1000 and 3000.