Completed the trifecta

RParker

TVWBB Member
Well I now have all three WSM's.

My smoking career started with a 20" Pro Q which was OK, but the fit and finish was not even close to the WSM. Moved to a 22" WSM which was great for BIG cooks, After a couple years found a 18" WSM in very good condition on CL for $150 and came with 7 bags of charcoal and some other stuff. I fretted for some time and finally picked up the 14" today.

Cute little guy, cooking for the wife and I it will probably be used more than the larger smokers. The 14" is seasoning right now. With a full chimney of KBB is running 360 degrees with an empty water pan in, the temp outside is 12 degrees. Looks like it is going to be good for poultry high temps without having to add a second vent like I did on the 18".

Well it's mighty cold out. Down to 10 degrees right now at 6:24PM.

I lit the chimney of KBB at 2PM as stated above. By 5:30pm, the temp was down to 250 degrees with only the empty water pan in it. I threw a few more coals in, removed the water pan and then grilled two steaks with the grate resting on top of the charcoal ring. Being that close it seared the steaks well.

All in all, pretty happy with the 14" and feel I will use it much more cooking for the wife and myself.

RParker

Congratulations on the WSM trifecta, and at 10° your still out seasoning and cooking steaks on the new 14.5" WSM is amazing.

Love my 14" WSM. I use a clay saucer from a flower pot instead of the water pan. It helps retain the heat and reduces the amount of coal you will use. I use one in all my smokers.

I've had my 14 for a little over 2 years, and it's perfect for just the two of us.
My 18 rarely gets used anymore.
I cut brisket packers in half for 2 cooks, and roll and skewer a rack of ribs to fit.
It's cold as heck here too!

Congrats on getting the 14.5". I love mine, it got a lot of use this past summer and will through the winter. I moved the little heat shield to the outside, using little "J-hooks". Now it looks like its bigger brothers.

Things I appreciate about my 14.5–the size, perfect for us two, but is able to step up to the plate if we have a couple of guests, the ability to transport easily because of its size, the small charcoal usage compared to my two bigger WSM’s, and best of all—I can clean the grate in the sink or dishwasher!!!

I have a 14.5 mini which is basically a 14.5 WSM without a door. Like said above it's perfect for the two of us and super fuel efficient. My 18.5 gets used for bacon and briskets and sometimes high heat chicken with the water pan removed but that's about it.
I think you're really going to like your 14.5.

RParker

Congratulations on the WSM trifecta, and at 10° your still out seasoning and cooking steaks on the new 14.5" WSM is amazing.

It's no big deal Jeff, you have no idea how awful this God for saken part of the world is in the Wintertime. It's so bad we don't have enough snow to run the snowmobiles yet.

It's no big deal Jeff, you have no idea how awful this God for saken part of the world is in the Wintertime. It's so bad we don't have enough snow to run the snowmobiles yet.

Thanks for the laugh RParker, may you have fun with the trifecta of WSM's this winter.

Love my 14" WSM. I use a clay saucer from a flower pot instead of the water pan. It helps retain the heat and reduces the amount of coal you will use. I use one in all my smokers.

I long ago gave up on water in the pans, I look at it as a heat diffuser.

On the 18 & 22" I got the "pizza pan" lids for the water pans, foil both and clean up is a snap. I might try the clay on the small one, clay saucers were expensive for the big ones and felt they might crack so I went with metal.

I often forgo the water pan altogether for high heat direct cooks and use just the top grate. Browns great that way and runs much hotter. for poultry.

Thanks for the laugh RParker, may you have fun with the trifecta of WSM's this winter.

I am serious about the lack of snow, this bites. it was -3 today and we did hunt bobcats today with the hounds, got one weighing 37.5#s. Don't know how to cook one of them though.

Here is the sled: (It's faster than it looks, 1049cc @ 130HP)

2cfcoex.jpg

Back