Brisket over butt or what?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Planning an all nighter for New Years festivities. About an 8 pound butt and a 12 pound prime brisket, any opinions on whether to do the butt on the bottom and brisket in the penthouse? Or brisket in the basement with butt on top? One way better than the other or not?

I've always read that it's Butt over Brisket ( BOB ) supposedly the pork drippings baste the brisket below.

I dunno, never tried it. I like cooking same meat on both racks, reason being does one rub or drippings change the taste of the other below?

Tim

I really feel like I’m talking to myself, Tim!
That is exactly what I’m thinking, if I can fit it all “topside” that’s what I will do. Cross flavoring is just my concern.
I’d prefer not to have my brisket taste like......
Well, you get it.

Iduno,but I think I would do the brisket on top. The Brisket is far more expensive,and to me is better eatin. The brisket also needs more attention,like maybe injecting,and spraying down with stuff like apple juice. Not that I would neglect the butt. It's just to me,brisket trumps pork butt,so therefore Brisket goes on top. Of course that is only MY opinion :)

I've been thinking about this type of situation for about a year or so. My main concern was more like how do I stop the top drippings from falling on the lower meat?

What I came up with is to use a stiff wiring harness (tied to the bottom of the top rack/grate) to hold a sturdy pan (not foil) to collect the drippings. The bottom of the meat on the top rack would still be able to get smoke on it.

Obviously, this should be assembled prior to placing it in the smoker.

If you can fit both on top, that would be my go-to as well. Not just for the reasons stated above, but you will be cooking both meats at a uniform temp, never having to be concerned with any variance between the top and bottom racks.
Good luck,
Tim

I've been thinking about this type of situation for about a year or so. My main concern was more like how do I stop the top drippings from falling on the lower meat?

What I came up with is to use a stiff wiring harness (tied to the bottom of the top rack/grate) to hold a sturdy pan (not foil) to collect the drippings. The bottom of the meat on the top rack would still be able to get smoke on it.

Obviously, this should be assembled prior to placing it in the smoker.

That came up before on the old forum, and someone had a good idea on using S hooks.
Hook the top over the grate rods and punch some holes thru the lip on a disposable foil pan underneath. Seems doable and something along your line of thinking.

Another option is to use a piece of parchment paper. Cut it slightly larger than the top roast and add a channel on one corner like this>
Slightly shim your WSM out of level towards that side and the majority of the drippings will drain towards that.

Alot of us use that for meatloaf and it does work ( Thanks Shawn )

Tim

Never have tried two different meats stacked, not sure I would want to. As you stated I wouldn't want my brisket to taste like pork fat or the other way around. Whatever you do let us know what it was and how it worked out.
Good luck.

Wrench throwing now, I have suddenly obtained a 22” WSM, I’m pretty sure that I can fit both in the penthouse of that rascal, I prefer the concept of not having pork fat rendering onto a prime brisket. Tried unit or, new larger? My brother (gifted me the 22) is stubborn about his method but, he’s never done cold weather smoking much. I have options as far as kettles or WSM sizes so, maybe I will do the brisket in the normal manner on the WSM and kettle the butt. It goes a little against the grain to use two heat sources but, the lesser stress level in doing a “hotsmoke” of the butt and allowing the brisket to languish, is still attractive. I’ve got a good stock of charcoal so, I’m a little at odds with myself, one fire doing double duty or simply enjoying the diversity of owning multiple cooking apparatus!
I think I need a cocktail...

Conventional wisdom is butt over brisket, as previously stated. Beef fat is so greasy and waxy vs. luscious pork fat...you wouldn't want beef fat on pork, I don't think. But pork drippings might disturb the crust formation on brisket.

Having said that...I just looked at Harry Soo's PDF from his Q&A here back in 2010 and he cooks brisket on top and butts on the bottom. So much for conventional wisdom. :confused:

Wrench throwing now, I have suddenly obtained a 22” WSM, I’m pretty sure that I can fit both in the penthouse of that rascal, I prefer the concept of not having pork fat rendering onto a prime brisket. Tried unit or, new larger? My brother (gifted me the 22) is stubborn about his method but, he’s never done cold weather smoking much. I have options as far as kettles or WSM sizes so, maybe I will do the brisket in the normal manner on the WSM and kettle the butt. It goes a little against the grain to use two heat sources but, the lesser stress level in doing a “hotsmoke” of the butt and allowing the brisket to languish, is still attractive. I’ve got a good stock of charcoal so, I’m a little at odds with myself, one fire doing double duty or simply enjoying the diversity of owning multiple cooking apparatus!
I think I need a cocktail...

That's why I have two smokers just for the "I really don't want to screw this up" feeling I would have if I did what you were contemplating. A little more fuel is much better than a screwed up brisket or pork butt or worse both.
Cocktail.....I'll have what you're having.:)

You know Rich, I’m actually thinking the same thing, use two units, whatever the extra charcoal expense is worth it to not compromise either of the finished products, butts are pretty cheap, briskets are not. Give precedence to the brisket, deal with the butt on its own.
It’s not quite martini time yet, today but, it will be by the time either of the meats come off!
However, I did get a bottle of 15 year old Glenlivet for Christmas.

New Years Day,
Used the initial “manstinct” and did the brisket by itself, touched it off at about 6:00 last night, restoked coal and pecan about five, temp came up, I went back down in bed! Rose back to the surface about eight and pit temperature was 235 still brisket was just passing through 197 so, I’ve pulled it, double foiled, and toweled and in the cooler for a two or three PM feast time. Butt on the kettle for its hotsmoke session. Planning on slipping a few shrimp near the end (wife and I were not as hungry last night as expected) I have a few U-15 raw rascals which will be a nice treat!
Thanks for all the input folks! Happy New Year!!

Back