WSM pork tenderloin??

DarinD

TVWBB Member
Hello all,

I routinely do a midnight cook on New Year’s Eve loading up my WSM with pork butt. This year I am thinking of cooking a couple of boneless pork tenderloins. I’m sure my cook times will be shorter but will this cut of pork shred once cooked?

Thanks,
D

It's a very lean piece of meat so cook time won't be too long. It's easy to shred butt because there lots of internal fat but because the tenderloin (as well as the loin) is so lean, i would usually want to do it in a very moist environment--->translated : a crock pot. Just my opinion. There will be others.

BTW, tenderloin is always boneless. It's found on the opposite side of back ribs --loin on one side of ribs, tenderloin on the other with the ribs separating the two :D

Last edited:
Look at the piece before you do a long cook, it’s not going to shred the way a butt will because it’s so much more lean. My BiL does that kind of pulled pork project (using tenderloins) by searing the pork then placing it in his crockpot with a bottle of cream soda or root beer and letting it go overnight. Or all day. I tried it and it was very good but, it’s nothing like a slow smoke on a butt.

I'm not sure that a tenderloin would be the best option because they are small and so lean. I would lean more towards a section of a boneless (or bone in) pork loin because they are bigger (diameter) and, therefore, would be able to hang out in the smoke for a much longer time. I'm not sure about shredding it because, like the tenderloin, there is very little fat in one. But with the the butt you are doing, you do a nice sliced/pulled combo platter.

BD

The more I think about that, the less I like the idea of a prolonged smoke for a tenderloin. I’d use my more tried and true kettle indirect, hot method. Maybe bacon wrapped and hotsmoked. Then slice into beautiful coins.
I’m doing a brisket/butt New Year’s Day all day buffet so, I’m still thinking about more sides too. Hoppin’ Johns, baked beans, spinach salad, maybe some Mac and cheese. Not sure yet.

Last edited:
The more I think about that, the less I like the idea of a prolonged smoke for a tenderloin. I’d use my more tried and true kettle indirect, hot method. Maybe bacon wrapped and hotsmoked. Then slice into beautiful coins.
I didn't mention the medallion way (as OP wanted shredded) but that is a great way to go. Slice it after smokin', quick drench in egg wash and then in cracker crumbs and a quick saute in a frying pan with butter to crisp up the crumbs. Heavenly :D

Last edited:
Yea, you smoke a loin or TL to normal pulling temps ( 195-200 ) you're gonna have crumbly dry pork jerky.
It will shred with a serrated knife and some work, and then you have to add it to something with a liquid and try to save it.

Tim

And I think the cookie goes to Len, I want one of those right now!
Maybe run a cup and a half of leftover Chex mix through the cuisinart to almost dust and bread with that!
I do that for meatloaf, leftover whipping cream in mashed potatoes, cheeses.....

Last edited:
If you're doing the butts too, I'd suggest a reverse sear for the tenderloins. Put them on along with the butts but pull them off when they hit ~135F. Cover with foil and let rest until the internal has dropped back to 110-120F. Then get a pan, preferably cast iron, nice and hot and do a minute or two on each side of the tenderloin to give it some good color and bring it back to a nice serving temp. Then slice into medallions.

Thank you all for confirming what I thought. I am going to try a short brine on these and a short cook. I like the suggested slicing, that will work for us.

I have a few days before the new year, I may reconsider what chunk of pork goes on the WSM.

One thing for sure is a pot of black eyes with greens and a skillet of cornbread will be on the table!

Back