Christmas Prime Rib

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

This year we decided to shake it up a bit and deviate from the traditional lamb for Christmas Dinner. I invested in a ten pound bone in prime rib. I plan to reverse sear it using my 26 OTG for the indirect portion and then spin it up on the performer screaming hot for the sear. I am shooting for rare/medium rare. This will be a progressive post and I will post pics as I go along. Wish me luck!
t4TB5vE.jpg

Four Bone, Ten lb, Prime Rib - Tied for the Grill

ZRHE3qh.jpg

Rosemary Garlic Potatoes (EVOO, KS, and Rosemary Garlic Seasoning)

na5MP5o.jpg

Rubbed with EVOO, KS, and BP and Parked Indirect Over the Taters in the Basement - Grill Running 325F

Good luck John ! We have a rib roast on the menu instead of turkey this year. I may just use the gasser, it's -18C/-0.4F here and I am getting to be a wimp. :D

This is looking pretty good - taking a bit longer than I anticipated but so far so good...
qDufHcb.jpg

About and Hour and a Half in IT at 65F Grill Down to 295 - Added Fuel

kpfEWQ7.jpg

About two and a Quarter Hours in IT at 95F - Pulled and Rested While Firing Up the Performer

ZxbtWYp.jpg

Happy Happy Rosemary Garlic Taters

Bud0ppc.jpg

Spinning Up on the Performer - IT 87F - Indirect - Screaming Hot

p9IrjE7.jpg

Making Au Jus From the Beef Fat (AP Flour, KS, BP, Beef Broth)

5tuLsQl.jpg

Plated with Kari's Scalloped Turnips, the RG Taters, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, and Steamed Green Beans

OK this turned out great. The beef was tender and had wonderful bark. The flavor was amazing and the au jus really accented the meat well. The sides were a great accompaniment and the whole family enjoyed the meal. The only issue I had with it was it was a bit unevenly done. I attribute this to my failure to rotate the roast while I was doing the initial cook (rookie mistake). This caused the upper section to finish closer to medium than medium rare. Thanks for looking everyone - Merry Christmas!

Regards,

John

Thanks Mark - let us know how it turned out - that cold weather might actually be an advantage if you want it rare...

Regards,

John

Nice looking cook - I especially like the potatoes under the roast (and the roast). When I heard of scalloped turnips I had to google 'what do turnips taste like' because they kind of tasted like horseradish in my last memory. I'm sure they were great too.

Looks like a great meal you have there John. I'm about to season the roast up. I tested the rotisserie and the motor screeched, so I brought it inside for an hour. Now -23/-9, brrr.

John, you nailed that one out of sight. Plated pic tells the story of that meal. Yummy for sure.

Nice looking cook. WRT upper part being more done, I'd wager that this was due to the bones being left in place. They absorb a lot of the heat preventing it all from reaching the meat underneath. It's exactly like how the meat next to the bone is always less done on a Porterhouse or a bone in ribeye.

Additionally, cooking at temps above 250-265ish degrees will give you somewhat of a bullseye effect where the outer edge of each slice will be much more done than the center

1371603027399.jpeg

vs

daniel-s-restaurant-on.jpg

The higher the chamber temp, the larger the degree of difference. Conversely, the lower the chamber temp, the more uniform the color.

Thanks Dave - I will try it at a lower temp for the initial cook next time.

Regards,

John

You're welcome John. BTW, there isn't a "right" or "wrong" here, it comes down to personal tastes. Quite a few people I know prefer the bullseye.

Looks awesome, wish I sang the only one in my house to eat prime rib, really want to smoke one

Thanks Dave - I will try it at a lower temp for the initial cook next time.
I've seen recommendations on both extremes. I've seen recipes calling for very high heat for a fairly short initial period, followed by a rest to let the internal temperature equalize, then finishing slowly to hit the desired level of done.

I did it like Dave suggested this year. Three hours twenty minutes at 225F to an internal of 120F (technically 118F), then a long rest, and a final very hot sear just before serving.

From the practical perspective of trying to get a big meal on the table where everything comes together at the same time, I much prefer the latter approach. The rest before the final sear means you can slice and eat as soon as the sear is finished. The roast will also hold for quite a while with no special measures. I simply loosely covered it with foil for the first hour of rest and then tossed a clean dish towel over the foil. Three hours after it came off the smoker it was still 110F internal. If I had put it in the cooler like I initially planned I'm sure it would have held at 120F for hours. This gives you a lot of leeway to get the roast almost finished hours in advance and then take ten minutes to sear it over a blazing fire just before serving. In between you can finish all those other dishes or just chat with your guests and munch on ABTs like we did.

Back