BBQ IQ temperature controller

PaulBz

TVWBB Fan
I have the iq 110. So it works great. But the light is still solid green when I know the cooker is really cooling down and it obviously isn't at my 225 mark. Any thoughts on this?

I just used mine for the first time yesterday,and it kind of did the same thing you are talking about. (I think):D
It held rock solid at 250 for the first 4 hours. Then it seemed to lock in at a lower temp with the light being green. Meaning it was doing it on purpose ( holding 225 instead of 250:confused:)
I have a feeling it sensed it was having to run too much to hold temp because the charcoal was getting low,so it chose a lower temp? I didn't try adding charcoal to see what would happen. I don't know,it really makes no sense,because it seemed happy with a lower temp than was on the knob after 4 hours. My light was clearly solid green with a temp lower than the temp on the knob.
I also didn't try cranking up the knob to see what would happen as I was almost done.
I don't have any Loooong cooks planed in the future,so it will probably be a while before I try it again. I will probably do a short one next weekend though. I might just let it go to see how it behaves. Nevertheless it was nice cooking for 4 hours without constantly keeping an eye on temps,and messing with the doors. Hopefully it simply did what it did because it was running out of fuel.

I think what was going on with my IQ110 was the probe. It would hold rock solid for the first couple hours. But after that the temp would fall 25-30 degrees with the green light on the controller on. Meaning the controller was happy with the temperature. I used it 3 times with prett much the same results. After extended times of use it would control the smoker cooler.
I ordered another probe,and tried it yesterday,and I think it cured it. It was only 17 degrees outside yesterday,so it had it's work cut out. But i did a pork shoulder/roast,and ran it over 7 hours. I am pretty certain the new probe fixed it. Before it would fall to 210 or so with the green light on. Yesterday 238 was a cool as it got (with the green light on),and it held steady around 250 for the most part.
We'll see what it next time :)

Back