Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Christmas Story - with a Weber flair

TVWBB Super Fan
    Good story. My Weber lid logo has some chrome flaking off. I agree older ones were easily restored compared to these cheeply chromed ones. I noticed newer ones at Genesis 2s seemed to have a thin layer clear epoxy over them.
    -------EP-330, DD Performer, Jumbo-Joe, 14" WSM, GWGA-------

Quote Originally Posted by Garth C View Post
    Good story. My Weber lid logo has some chrome flaking off. I agree older ones were easily restored compared to these cheeply chromed ones. I noticed newer ones at Genesis 2s seemed to have a thin layer clear epoxy over them.
    Merry Christmas, Garth!

I noticed the difference as well. When I ordered my replacement from Weber, I asked if the new ones were improved. The customer service rep new nothing and kind of acted like I was crazy. I can't say for sure, but it does seem the replacement is made better than the original. Time will tell. I hope I can come up with a way to recycle the new styles ones with flaked-off chrome. Another hobby I have is restoring certain toys from the 1960s. I can tell you from doing research that there is no cost effective way to re-chrome plastic pieces. So, other than using the best "chrome" spray paint (which will be fairly obvious) there is no practical way to try and make them look like new that I know of. I am thinking of a whole different look, but I will have to find time to experiment.

Jon
    Genesis 330-SE, Q200 Performer , 2 kettles, Green Egg, Orion Cooker & restoring a Genesis 1000 and 3000.

Awesome grills, awesome story. Thanks for sharing with us and your friends.
    Genesis 1000-Redhead Q100 Q1400

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12