Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Christmas Story - with a Weber flair

TVWBB Super Fan
    Good story. My Weber lid logo has some chrome flaking off. I agree older ones were easily restored compared to these cheeply chromed ones. I noticed newer ones at Genesis 2s seemed to have a thin layer clear epoxy over them.
    -------EP-330, DD Performer, Jumbo-Joe, 14" WSM, GWGA-------

Quote Originally Posted by Garth C View Post
    Good story. My Weber lid logo has some chrome flaking off. I agree older ones were easily restored compared to these cheeply chromed ones. I noticed newer ones at Genesis 2s seemed to have a thin layer clear epoxy over them.
    Merry Christmas, Garth!

I noticed the difference as well. When I ordered my replacement from Weber, I asked if the new ones were improved. The customer service rep new nothing and kind of acted like I was crazy. I can't say for sure, but it does seem the replacement is made better than the original. Time will tell. I hope I can come up with a way to recycle the new styles ones with flaked-off chrome. Another hobby I have is restoring certain toys from the 1960s. I can tell you from doing research that there is no cost effective way to re-chrome plastic pieces. So, other than using the best "chrome" spray paint (which will be fairly obvious) there is no practical way to try and make them look like new that I know of. I am thinking of a whole different look, but I will have to find time to experiment.

Jon
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

Awesome grills, awesome story. Thanks for sharing with us and your friends.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

One last post for this one. I promised a picture of my friend's and his wife's family with their new grill. Here are their beautiful daughters in a photo taken late this afternoon as they had us over to enjoy his grilling:

They are a wonderful family and it was a blessing to be able to do something special for them. Things are going well as they settle back to living in Florida and now just a couple blocks down the street from my wife and me.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Tofte; 02-24-2018 at 10:09 PM.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

Wow 4X the trouble. I only have 2X the trouble and I think I should be put in for Sainthood and and instant E-Ticket straight past the pearly gates when it's my time. Looks like you did them very nicely. I am sure they're very thankful for a friend like you. I may be on the same mission here soon. One of the couples from our small group are in need of a grill and I have my eye on a 2 burner Genesis Silver A for $45. So I am going to see if I can work it in to buy, refurb and gift it to them. Hopefully I can pull it off in a timely manner

Throw out an offer of $25 Larry. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Yep, got many things on my plate today/this week. Trip to snowy Minnesota really set me back LOL

Well, the weather should cooperate the next few days for you Larry. Good luck.

Yep it should but I have so many things on my plate. Home with my little partner in crime today. So later we'll be going to our hiking haunt with his Cub Scout animal tracking book. Nice way for us to spend a PM, Tomorrow most likely have to hit my dad's, then have to go through all the stuff from my wife's brother's estate so I can get my garage back. I need a job so I can get some rest!

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    Yep it should but I have so many things on my plate. I need a job so I can get some rest!

Amen to that I retired in 2001 and have never been so busy. I had a nice engineering job designing building additions on AutoCAD for AT&T. Sat on my butt in front of a computer and being a manager I could come and go as I wanted. No stress at all, didn't realize how good I had it.
    But after working for the phone company for 34 years I wanted out. Wish I had stayed for a few more years.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12