Sweet Thai Chili Sauce

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Needed some chili sauce for Bang Bang Cauliflower Mac & Cheese but not wanting to buy, I found this recipe. I also use it as a dip for calimari or spring rolls. If you use a hab, etc it is just wonderful (me being a chilihead and all ;) ):

Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
sweetchilisaucespotlight2-56a948bb5f9b58b7d0f9e591.jpg

What You'll Need

• 1/2 cup rice vinegar (or white vinegar)
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. white sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3 tbsp. fish sauce
  • 2 tbsp. sherry (or cooking sherry)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 to 1 tbsp. dried crushed chili (1 tbsp. makes spicy-hot sauce) I used one habanero really well diced
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 3 to 4 tbsp. cool water

How to Make It

1. Place all ingredients - except the cornstarch-water mixture - in a sauce pan or pot. Bring to a rolling boil.
  2. Reduce heat to medium and let boil for 10 minutes, or until reduced by half. (Note that the vinegar will be quite pungent as it burns off--rice vinegar is less strong than regular white vinegar.)
  3. Reduce heat to low and add the cornstarch-water mixture. Stir to incorporate and continue stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and taste-test. You should taste sweet first, followed by sour, then spicy and salty notes. If the sauce isn't sweet enough, add a little more sugar. If not spicy enough, add more chili.
  5. Pour sauce into a small bowl or jar and serve as a condiment, dip or marinade.
  6. WHAT I DID: PUT ALL INGREDIENTS IN A BLENDER FIRST EXCEPT WATER/CORNSTARCH MIXTURE (to help chop the hab) THEN START AT #1 ABOVE
https://www.thespruce.com/thai-sweet-chili-sauce-3217301

Last edited:

Back