Mustard on Brisket?

Fred BW

TVWBB Fan
Just wondering why i don't see any recipes for mustard on brisket. I'm a firm believer in it for bark on Pork. I'm doing a brisket tomorrow,and thinking about laying on a layer to help hold the rub on. But i have been searching,and havn't found where anybody used Mustard on a brisket. Is there a reason?

Just wondering why i don't see any recipes for mustard on brisket. I'm a firm believer in it for bark on Pork. I'm doing a brisket tomorrow,and thinking about laying on a layer to help hold the rub on. But i have been searching,and havn't found where anybody used Mustard on a brisket. Is there a reason?

For me, personally, I trim it up and go minimalist with a rub and then low and slow...If I were to put mustard on it it means that 100% of that 11lbs of meat are mustard...If you cook it without a mustard you can always make a mustard based dipping sauce one day...and a spicy bbq the next...and then throw some in a nice bolognese with rigatoni...

That's just how i feel about it :)

When you do it on Pork. The main purpose is to "glue" the rub in place,and to form a bark. It always amazes me,that when you open the lid a couple hours later there is no sign the mustard was ever there. And I have done pork with,and without. I can tell a big difference in the bark when covering it with mustard.
At any rate,this is the Christmas Brisket,and it's goin on the Smoker in about 15 minutes. And since nobody has said "of course you can,by all means do it"I'm not doing it with this one. But still,I don't see what the difference would be between pork,and beef.

People do it all the time. I typically don't, but I'm mostly a salt and pepper guy, although I have been using Meat Church Holy Cow rub a lot lately. I know I've done it on pork ribs and butts. I can't remember if I've done it on brisket, but there's no reason not to. You really won't taste it. Other people have used things like worcestershire sauce and even pickle juice.

I've used mustard on chuck roasts. So for brisket, why not/ just go for it.:)
I typically use a wet paste, worsh, oil and Webers Chicago steak or Montreal steak seasoning.

Tim

I just pulled it out of the oven not long ago after being on the smoker 6 hours or so. I tried a sample and WOW! I wish i could pig out on it now,but i gotta save it for Monday. I have a roaster oven I plan on warming it in then. I'm going to cut the point off here in a few minutes. I plan on smoking that part again tomorrow. I think I WILL coat that with mustard tonight when it cools. My sample tastes tells me it was a success without any mustard,and didn't need anything to help the rub stick,or make better bark. But Iduno. My next one,I am pretty sure I'm gonna "mustard" it just to see.

I'd imagine since a brisket is a thiner flat piece of meat you don't really need anything to hold the seasoning in place.

I use a thin to medium slathering of cheap yellow mustard as a binder on most porks and beef - brisket and beef ribs included. Then a rub on pressed into it. I always get an awesome crust and never have anything actual remind me of mustard flavor when I am done.

In his book Franklin Barbecue: A Meat Smoking Manifesto, pitmaster Aaron Franklin says that slathers can be used on brisket and "can be anything from yellow mustard to hot sauce to plain ole water" although I wouldn't call water a "slather". He warns, "apply a very conservative amount, just enough to create a tacky environment for rub and smoke adhesion. Too much and you run the risk of building an impermeable barrier between the meat and the pending flavors. Too heavy a slather can also give you a premature crust that has the potential for flaking off, taking most of the smoke and seasoning with it."

However, Franklin does not slather briskets at his restaurant.

Since vinegar is a major component of prepared mustard and since vinegar and barbecued pork are best friends, maybe that's why people have such an affinity for applying yellow mustard to pork butts, whereas there's no vinegar tradition with brisket that I'm aware of. :confused:

This was my first brisket on a WSM,and there really was no mustard needed. I am not usually one to brag. But I think I nailed it the first time. I pretty much followed the directions on this websight. Smoke to about 150-160,and wrap with foil,and cook in the oven to 200-210.
I did put mustard on the point yesterday,(after it sat wrapped in foil in the fridge overnight)going for burnt ends. But I don't think you are supposed to do it with meat that has already been smoked. I peaked after an hour or so,and most of the mustard was still there. So I pulled it off,and dabbed up the mustard with paper towels,and put it back on the smoker,and let it cook.
I think a big part of why it came out so good is i made a mixture of beef broth/bullion,and Worcestershire sauce,and kept injecting it every hour or so. I also mixed some of that with apple juice,and olive oil and kept it sprayed down with a spray bottle.
My next one I am definitely gonna try mustard. But I'm only gonna slather it on raw meat,and i will go easy on it..

Last edited:

Back