Prime Rib on the Q?

Michael Roberts

TVWBB Fan
We have a 3:30 kickoff on Christmas Day and I'll be serving Prime Rib at the tailgate. My question is should I cook the prime rib on Sunday then just reheat on the Q300 at tailgate or should I cook the 12lb roast on the Q at the tailgate? I've never cooked prime rib on a Q so am I little concerned. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! GO TEXANS!

Last edited:
I can't imagine a rib roast would even fit! Frankly the best way to cook a prime rib or standing rib is low and slow. Very slow oven (or grill) only around 200 deg. Cook until desired doneness (internal temp) is reached then a nice rest about 45 to 60 minutes. Finish with a blast of heat to give you the nice crust cut and serve. A "Q" is not a good cooking environment for the king of roasts IMO

The size/style of the grill and size of the rib roast is going to make indirect heating virtually impossible. You either use the outside loop burner and turn off the middle burner or vice versa, but either way, you are going to wind up putting direct heat to the meat. I think maybe putting a shallow aluminum pan under the roast would help a lot with the outside burner on low.

Do you have an external thermometer that you can monitor the meat temp as well as the internal grill temps? If not, it is going to be really hard to cook it on site without over/under cooking it.

By all means, post up some photos when you get back.

Last edited:
Seems the best course of action would be to cook it on Sunday to rare then place in the Q in a roasting pan just to bring it up to around 135 to 145 degrees. I do have a meat thermometer to use which should really help out a lot. Admittedly I am a bit nervous as this is the most ambitious tailgate meal I have cooked.

How on earth can you fit one under the lid? I have a standing rib roast in the fridge right now Bone in just under 10lb doing some dry aging. That roast WITHOUT a pan is about 3" taller than the lid on a Q3XXX. Seems like a waste of good rib roast to me. You could do it on a low/slow in a full size grill or home oven then at the tailgater slice and regrill the slices to desired doneness. It's the only real way I see it happening

Prime Rib at tailgate was a huge success - much better than the Texans performance on the field. I'll figure out a way to add pictures.

Back