Looking at Camp Chef Woodwind

Tom Barineau

TVWBB Super Fan
I am considering getting a Camp Chef Woodwind pellet grill with the sear box. Can anyone provide feedback on the Woodwind?

If no one here has experience with it perhaps you could look at reviews from Amazon. Take this with a grain of salt but if I were considering a pellet as a first smoker I would have a concern that I would soon want to migrate to a more conventional method such as that demonstrated by the WSM. Two years ago my first smoker was an electric unit and within two months I realized I wanted to learn and experiment with the WSM lineup, so I began purchasing their trio over many months (including Kettles). During this calendar year I used the electric only once and that was a few weeks ago when I smoked pecans for less than an hour. For my personal taste, I just thoroughly enjoy the experience of what goes into using charcoal; I like that it is relatively simple but also requires--on occasion--a little bit of intervention. I will confess, however, that during certain occasions of entertaining guests I fret that I carry the scent of charcoal, lol. But if I were an avid WSM/charcoal user and still felt a strong desire for a pellet smoker then the Woodwind would certainly be worthy of my consideration.

No experience with the Woodwind. I do however absolutely love my pellet grill (I have a Rec Tec). It provides me the ability to maintain precise temperatures while using a real wood fire as both the heat source and the smoke.

I still fire up my WSM occasionally just a lot less often.

Dan

Back