Veal cut for grinding

John E

I wasn't sure where the best place to ask this would be so I'm starting here. If anyone can point me in a better direction, I'm all ears.

I want to make some meatballs and meatloaf and I prefer a 1-1-1 ratio of Beef, Pork and Veal. I grind all the meat myself and I usually use chuck and pork shoulder for the beef and pork, but I have a hard time finding any veal to buy that isn't already ground, or a cut that isn't necessarily great for grinding. I called a butcher shop near me and asked if they can special order me some veal shoulder, but the guy on the other end of the phone seemed to think that didn't exist. I might be steering away from that place from now on.

Has anyone had any luck ordering veal that you use for grinding? What cut are you looking for when you want to grind your own veal?

Not sure if this will be much help John. This is a 2 lb. piece of veal I used to make brats a while back. I couldn't find any either so I asked the butcher at our local Safeway and he was able to order some for me. It wasn't cheap, $17.99/lb. (July, 2015 price) Not sure of the exact cut but I explained to the butcher what I was doing and they had this in the next day. Good Luck.

DSC_3917_zpsww72g6hi.jpg~original

Last edited:
I buy ground veal at Safeway. Of course veal have shoulders, but tracking them down at affordable cost will be difficult. Good luck!

You could always just get the ground V and mix it in after you've done the other meats. I know it's not what you want to do BUT it will get the job done.

BTW, we do get veal shoulder chops fairly cheap so-to-speak so you may look for those.

Four month old post request so you've probably already decided which way to go ;)

Back