Smoked Sausage Question

Zac_Callier

TVWBB Fan
Good morning everyone - just quick survey of what sausages you all use during a smoke? I have yet to actually do any, just chicken/butt/brisket/ribs for me so far and I have no idea what kind of sausage to use to do smoked sausage - kielbasa, andouille, italian sausage, hot links, etc, or am I way off? Any input would be appreciated - thank you! :wsm22:

I believe some sausages are already smoked or at least treated to taste like they've been smoked. I smoked some bratwurst this summer because I already had the smoker going. The result was not an improvement over the basic product.

Be careful here..
Make sure your temperatures are high enough otherwise you run a potential risk of botulism.
Smoking sausages at low temperature should have cure in them (exactly like Len says).

I grill sausages and only smoke homemade ones

I believe some sausages are already smoked or at least treated to taste like they've been smoked. I smoked some bratwurst this summer because I already had the smoker going. The result was not an improvement over the basic product.
If the sausage has already been fully cooked it'll usually still take on a little more smoke, but it's only necessary to get it hot enough to serve (the same holds true for cooked ham). It's not necessary to run it all the way up to 160 and if anything it could get a bit dry.

I think the best way is to find fresh sausage and hot smoke it. My butcher makes a lot of great fresh sausages, but my favorite by far is making my own.

I do occasionally warm smoke cured sausages that I've made, usually at 150 for a few hjours and then bump the temp to 180 until an internal temp of 150 or so.

I smoke the Publix hot Italian Sausage and my Grandsons and I liked it. I used Cherry smoke wood. It took about an hour at 250°.

Thank you for all of the varied responses everybody - I appreciate the feedback and hopefully will have some good results to report back

Back