craigslist find

George - most EXCELLENT find! Wow! Looks like an older model Genesis - with the side burner - maybe a Genesis 2000? I'm sure somebody will know better than I do, but in any event WOW, great find!

Congratulations!

Pat

thanks. i'm getting nervous now. it looks in decent shape so if it needs just the basics then it will be ok. not really a gas guy but have been looking for just this setup for a looooong time. we will see.

You'll love it George. I have a slighly newer model and I've cooked it on it about 4 times and it cooks very, very well indeed. I use gas a lot during the week or when I really need to be able to control temps, like grilling fish.

Weber will hook you up with any parts you need. The grates should be in good shape. If it comes with the porcelin coated steel, you may want to upgrade to the porcelin coated cast iron for better heat retention and searing.

The burners likely are OK, but you may need to get some new flavorizer bars. There is a guy out there who sells aftermarket flavorizer bars in stainless stell that are a heavier gauge steel than the Weber bars and are a little cheaper. I just ordered a set for my Genesis so we'll see.

The side burner is NICE touch. I had one on my Charbroil and miss it on the Weber.

On top of all that, its RED! I love the red ones.

George, it appears to be in great shape and you got a teriffic deal. Enjoy fixing it up and cooking on it. It's not as much fun to me to cook on gas as it is to cook on charcoal, but it beats the heck outta cookin in the house!

Pat

just got back home with the grill. a little rough. the red part is like new, the frame is in great shape, the printed panels with instructions are like new as is the side burner. the lid sides are a little white with corrosion and the wood will need work with a few needing replacement. the big thing is that the sheet metal that holds the drip/drain pan is rusted and will need repairing but i think this is not a big issue for me. the flavorizer bars have a lot of life left in them. whats funny is that all the left to right bars were stacked together in the rear and looked like they were never used. go figure. the grates will need replacing when i get picky about them. i'll save my $$$ to get the pc cast iron grates. i'm very happy with it and will enjoy fixing it up and giving it a new life. imagine it will last my life time.

Got myself a FREE Weber Spirit 700 on CL last weekend.

The grates look dirty and needs a good cleaning. The flavorizer bars needs replacement. The burners look great. Only thing is one of the valves on the manifold is stuck. Most likely needs manifold replacement.

The original owner just bought a brand new Weber Genesis so he wanted to get rid of this one. I'll fix it up and give it to my sister since I already have a silver B unit. With a little cleaning, repainting and parts replacements, this unit should look as new
icon_smile.gif

George - my Genesis Silver B had a serial number on the inside of the lower cabinet. I had to darn near crawl inside the thing to find it. I don't know where that info was on the Genesis 1000.

I did find out later that - in addition to being buried on the inside of the cabinet - the number also was printed on the front page of my owner's manual (which the seller had kept and gave to me).

Kinda felt like a dingbat for diving inside the darn grill when what I was looking for was staring me in the face the whole time!

Good luck with the clean up - fix up - fire up.

Pat

just found the tag on but under the burner control panel. says it a mod 470000 but it looks exactly like the one in a gen 3000 manual.
onwards !

went out today with the parts sheet and found almost all the bolts and screws in stainless steel. can't believe some of the stuff they used.

Back