Grilling with Cedar Planks

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Instead of buying the packaged planks in the BBQ section, can a guy just buy a Cedar fence picket and throw that on the grill with some meat? You can buy a 5' cedar picket for about $2 and get three or 4 grilling planks out of it.

???

Cedar is naturally insect and weather resistant. It doesn't require chemicals. That is the reason they commonly use cedar for fence pickets. But I would certainly verify that the wood was not treated.

Yes, cedar is naturally insect repellent, but, I’d want to check with the mill first. Just because something is naturally repellent doesn’t mean it’s not been treated. I’d be leery.

I saw several youtube videos with guys using was looked like cedar shakes for grilling planks. But, yah, I would make sure it was treated in addition to its natural weather resistance.

Making sure the wood isn't treated is the first good idea. Next I'd be thinking of how dry is the plank -- the drier the better. Sap and natural moisture in the wood will impart its taste to the food, not always for the good. Then there would be the finish. Rough sawn is likely not the best. You could hit it with the belt sander.

We get BBQ store planks and soak them all day for a dinner cook and seem to get 4-5 cooks out of a single plank.

I have seen cedar shakes in restaurants, where an entire meal is cooked/heated on the shake. In Nashville, a place doubled up the shakes (in opposite directions) so that the final assembly wouldn't be thick on one end and thin on the other. The shakes had a nice smooth side and a rough hand-split side. The presentation was nice.

Jeff

That sounds great. I saw a couple videos of them using the cedar shakes. Probably about 50 cents per grilling board.

There is a whole segment of restaurant around this state that does “planked fish” (whitefish or salmon) which I have ordered a couple of times. Nifty presentation or not, I’ve really tried to think it was great but, without exception they are just ho hum, there are better ways to do fish but, that’s just my opinion.

Yah, might be just a fad type thing. Or just a fancy way of doing it. I like trying new things though and will probably give it a shot at some point.

I have done a lot of cedar plank grilling using mostly Salmon and Steelhead. I have also done Cod. Good salmon and steelhead on a cedar plank (done properly) are some of the finest foods to be served, anywhere!

I can also recommend, without reservation, meatloaf on a plank.

The "trick" when using a plank on the grill (either gas or charcoal) is to have the plank just under kindling temperature. You WANT the smoke but flame is a no-no).

I nearly always use my Performers and find that one full Weber chimney of lit spread evenly over the grate with all vents open (but lid closed) works perfectly. Cooking time varies from 7.5 minutes to as much as 20 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. Of course, meatloaf being much thicker takes longer (but using a therm probe in the meatloaf makes it easy).

After the grill is up to heat, I put the food side of the plank down over the coals for two minutes to sterilize the soaked plank. Then, I flip the plank, close the lid and wait until it starts to smoke. Then, I put the fish on, close the lid and grill. The idea is to just grill the fish just until the fish can be "flaked". That way, you will retain maximum moisture for fantastic flavor. Always leave the skin on and do it skin side down. You do NOT need to flip the fish. When it is just right, the fat layer between the skin will melt allowing you to slip a spatula between the skin and the flesh.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Good tips Dale,
I know it’s not a fad, the restaurants that do it have been doing it for years, “signature items” on their menu. I’m not saying it’s not fun and good for some things. I am on board (sorry) with the meatloaf to be honest. It needs more attention during the learning curve that I have given it. I will revisit the wood method.
I do the same kind of thing as far as the skin side down and let it stay behind. Slipping the spatula between flesh and skin has always been my fish method, I’ve simply skipped the plank.

Last edited:
Alder is also good for a cooking plank. Not too common, but they can be found. Alder doesn't absorb water as easily, so soaking times may be extended.

Jeff

Thank's Jeff. I really love Alder on chicken, but I get mine from the east coast from Smokinlicious. ( they might offer planks ) Not sure if that species is the same as the PNW. I have read that some find that similar to cedar.

Tim

Not hitting ignition temp is hard but possible. I did try cedar planking a couple times but it never intrigued my taste buds enough to do it again. But who knows? I may just grab some and try again

I don't get the point. I can see it for fish, because it's hard to put something like fish on a grate and not have it fall apart, but I think you could just use a griddle or something. You could put literally any other smoke wood on the charcoal if you want to impart smoky flavor. Don't get me started on salt blocks. It's early and my coffee hasn't kicked it, so I feel like being a grumpy buzz-kill.

I would like to try a slat block. Have never seen one except on Iron Chef America LOL but never in person

Alder is also good for a cooking plank. Not too common, but they can be found. Alder doesn't absorb water as easily, so soaking times may be extended.

Jeff

I have switched to Alder wood planks. I got a box of about 24 planks for about $30 from Outdoor Gourmet in Idaho. The flavor is milder and more subtle than cedar.

Back