I'm curious about online meat ordering...

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
Have any of you ordered any steaks from those fancy pants online places? You know the ones...they sell prime and Wagyu/American Wagyu? How were they?

We have had fine results with the meats from Omaha Steaks. On the average their meat is as good as the best I can find here and generally it is more tender and flavorful. We often order a bundle as a gift for our daughters and their families for the anniversaries. The meat is always still frozen rock hard when it arrives. Also the meat comes in a thick styrofoam cooler, of various sizes depending on your order, that is excellent for 'holding' smoked/grilled items for several hours.

The Omaha steak coolers are also really nice for “towel wrapping” when you want to hold a butt for a few hours. I have received some from my brother for Christmas, my wife and I will have them maybe for Epiphany. Ham for Christmas, Brisket for New Year’s Day.

We have had fine results with the meats from Omaha Steaks. On the average their meat is as good as the best I can find here and generally it is more tender and flavorful. We often order a bundle as a gift for our daughters and their families for the anniversaries. The meat is always still frozen rock hard when it arrives. Also the meat comes in a thick styrofoam cooler, of various sizes depending on your order, that is excellent for 'holding' smoked/grilled items for several hours.

The Omaha steak coolers are also really nice for “towel wrapping” when you want to hold a butt for a few hours. I have received some from my brother for Christmas, my wife and I will have them maybe for Epiphany. Ham for Christmas, Brisket for New Year’s Day.

Thanks fellas! I've had a few steaks from Omaha Steaks, my in-laws get them shipped to them from time to time. I forgot to mention that in my OP. I was really thinking about D'Artagnan, Snake River, Chicago Steak Company, those that are new to me. I'm curious about those places and why they're so expensive. Are they really worth it?

For Snake River Farms, you might want to ask the top winning pro teams ;)

Swamp Boys uses a provider located somewhere in Florida. Seems to do very well !

Years ago some friends and I did a blind cook-off between Omaha Steaks, butcher shop prime, and grocery store select and choice. All steaks were prepared identically by a non-participating party. Everyone could easily tell choice from select from prime/Omaha. No one could tell local prime from Omaha. That was a long time ago and I have no idea if Omaha is still selling the same type of beef they did back then.

I have heard very good reports on both Snake River and D’Artagnan. Given prices and so forth, I’d love to try them but, can’t afford to! The trimming on the goods from both companies looks fantastic so, you will not end up with 15% trim but all useable product! Try them and give a report!
Or invite me....

Some members here, and other places, have said Omaha Steak's meat is so-so at best, and that they hound the heck out you by phone and email to buy again.
] have not tried them and don't plan to, Costco works for me and I can pick and choose what I'm buying.

Some members here, and other places, have said Omaha Steak's meat is so-so at best, and that they hound the heck out you by phone and email to buy again.
] have not tried them and don't plan to, Costco works for me and I can pick and choose what I'm buying.

Same here.

My impression is that Omaha was really good 20-30 years ago but has since become much more about marketing add-ons. My brother bought some a few years ago and I was whelmed. Not great, not terrible.

Some really good discussion here. For stuff I can get in the store here, I have 3 stores and two meat shops that I love. But, I also am interested in doing a big splurge on some of these steaks as a one time treat. Not necessaqrily soon. Just at some point in the nearish future.

Have your local butcher get you something “splurge worthy” best of both worlds. I get what you’re saying. Something really different! I’d probably go the snake river route if I wanted to go nuts.
The things from Omaha are ok but, no where near as good as things available at Costco to be honest. The thing is, they are very convenient, especially when someone sends you a box of them. I’ll most likely not order them again but, happy to have a few in the freezer for convenience.

I've got a friend who still competing in KCBS that buys his Wagyu briskets from Snake River.

I get Black Angus briskets at Restaurant Depot and really like them. I know a lot of people who find Choice at either Costco, sometimes at Sams's.

I sometimes get my steaks, especially Filets, at Sam's But usually I get steaks at my local grocer (Harris-Teeter) because I can pick them individually from the case or even get them custom cut. I got some really well marbled NY Strips a weeks or so ago for $6.99 lb. They were a real hit with the family ! ! !

BD

Snake River Farms stuff is really high quality, and they've been good enough to provide some prizes for TVWB contests so there's that angle, too. But you pay for that quality.

I recently ordered a Prime brisket from Creekstone Farms, they're good stuff, too, including a variety of steaks and other cuts. KCBS members get 10% off online orders via coupon code.

But like many, Costco is my place for most steaks and pork butt.

My brother-in-law sent us one of those gift selections from Omaha Steaks a couple year's back. I don't know what he paid for it, but I am sure he "over paid" for it. The cuts were very small and there just wasn't much there. I guess the quality was good, not great, but good. I certainly haven't considered doing any further business with them however.
The local butcher shop or meat section at the grocery store is a far better option IMO. Besides, what the he11 is a "Carmel Apple Tartlet" anyway????
If I had a big family and everyone liked to eat meat, I would consider buying a half a cow or pig.

While I've never purchased from them, Lobel's has been around for years. Maybe someday I'll treat myself to a super high end cut, but for now I shop the local packers when I want something a little bit above the grocery store.

Back