Last smoke of the year

Dustin_G

TVWBB Member
With a busy schedule and some travel coming up this was our last weekend for low and slow cooking for the year. Smoked a rack of baby backs using the 3-2-1 method. As much as I love a hands off style to smoking (put the meat on and then don't touch it till it's ready), the 3-2-1 just flat out works better for me. Leaving a rack on for six hours naked always resulted in dried out ribs.

Rubbed with Hardcore Carnivore Red (love that stuff!) and slathered with sweet sauce in the last hour. So good!

mJT2aA4h.jpg

8hgr7N9h.jpg

Last edited:
I've been thinking about doing a couple of racks tomorrow since the temps will be nearing 50F.

I foil every time. The juices get strained, de-greased, boiled down and mixed with a little sauce to bake a light baste during the last 15 minutes. :)

Going to be unseasonably warm here until Christmas Day then it’s suppoed to drop like a stone! My NYE brisket smoke will be chilly indeed! I’m pretty sure it will be well worth the short term discomfort.
I guess that means my last smoke of the old year will be my first smoke of the new year! Nifty!

Last edited:
I've been thinking about doing a couple of racks tomorrow since the temps will be nearing 50F.

I foil every time. The juices get strained, de-greased, boiled down and mixed with a little sauce to bake a light baste during the last 15 minutes. :)

Picked up a couple racks of spares yesterday and plan to do them tomorrow. Gonna be 70s here. I might try foil again, but maybe more like 4-30-30 than 3-2-1. Dustin's baby backs look pretty righteous. Maybe that Dawn is his secret ingredient. :)

They just got Kobe packer briskets at the local H-E-B. Might have to make that the first smoke of the new year.

Jeff

I'm planning to do the Christmas Eve rib roast on the WSM. It's been family tradition to do the "formal" dinner and gift exchange on Christmas Eve and leave Christmas day for Santa and the kids. We have a less formal meal on Christmas day with whoever happens to show up.

Bought the roast at Costco yesterday. I was a little disappointed with the selection. I needed about a ten pounder but all they had were ones in the 5-6 lbs. range and then 15 lbs. and up. Got a 16 lbs. one. I'll probably start cutting steaks until I've taken off 6 lbs. Somehow we'll have to bear up to the task of consuming rib-eyes some time next year.

When I left for Costco yesterday they were predicting mild weather on Christmas Eve, but now there's snow in the forecast. I hope it holds off until I'm done cooking.

Back