Had mold grow wild in my smoker ?

D Reinknecht

TVWBB Member
I have been using my two weber bullet smokers for over a decade. I just pulled one out (just finished smoling 40 lbs of pork butt in the snow and 20 degree weather...still cooked like a champ) of the storage shed I built for them and found that they BOTH had mold growing all over the grates and down the sides of the body of the smoker?

At the end of every smoke I always scrub the water bowl clean and burn off the grates on my weber gas grill then scrub them down to get off any trace of food. I have never had any issues until yesterday. The smokers were cleaned last time prior to putting them away. Like I said the grates and bowl were thoroughly cleaned though so don't know where the mold came from. I have never had that problem before

Has anyone ever had a problem with mold growing in their smoker on the grates and on the body after cleaning it? I burned off the grates again and scrubbed the
body clean (then hit it with a propane torch inside the body) just to ensure I had everything clean before putting the pork butts on for my smoke yesterday.

Any thoughts on how to prevent it again in the future?
Wishing everyone a great Christmas filled with charcoal and smoked goodness!
David

22 in Weber
18 in Weber
14 in Weber
smokey joe
Weber Silver Genesis C
2 Weber Bullet Smokers

I store mine with the door off, all vents open, and the lid ajar or on a shelf. Good airflow usually prevents mold.

Well, smack me in the face with the obvious (what should have been obvious anyway) :confused:. I am trecking out to the shed now to do just that. This old dog just learned a new trick. Thank you!

You're welcome. Our humidity down here is always pretty high and when I found my WSM moldy after 1 month in the shed I knew I had to change things. I haven't had mold since. 6 years. I hope that solves your problem.

Back