Rotisserie for a Genesis 310

Tim Murphy

TVWBB Fan
Dear Board,

I want to ask you about rotisserie kits for the Weber Genesis 310. I'd like to be able to do rotisserie chicken and the occasional beef or pork roast. I would like a rotisserie with a 110V electric motor too.

Weber makes them, as do a number of aftermarket manufacturers. Just looking at the choices there are a couple on Amazon and the prices range from $ 56.00 to over $ 100.00. Looking at the kits they all sort of look the same to me? Is there a brand you would recommend, or a brand I should avoid?

Thanks in advance,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :)

If your grill is a knob in front type a rotisserie is a waste of time and money. If you have the knobs to the side (E/W design) you have one of the best rotisserie machines made. Using a rotisserie on a n/s burner type is a waste as all the cooking occurs on the "ends" of your roast whereas on the older design you have heat across the entire length of your food giving a nice cook all the way across. From a personal perspective (since I do own a Summit n/s burners) your best bet is to place your roast front to back surrounding it with heat from the burners on either side. IOW if doing say a standing rib roast. You place bone orientation the same as the burners and cook indirectly. This works great as long as what you're roasting fits in this orientation.

Thank you for the information

Dear LMichaels,

Though I hadn't really considered the orientation of the burners I do understand what you are saying. If I do a roast on my Genesis now I do exactly what you suggest and place the roast over the unlit middle burner and cook indirect.

I thought the rotisserie kit might be a neat addition but now I am thinking that if I do get one I will get it for my 22" OTG. I think it will be easier to maintain consistent heat over the whole grill with charcoal.

Thanks again,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :)

Absolutely. The charcoal grill will be a MUCH better candidate. Like I indicated I tried adding a rotisserie to my Summit 450 (the old Summit with no rotisserie burner) and it was a total disappointment. My bro and his wife have the next version I think it's called a Summit Gold IIRC again no rotisserie burner. He bought a rotisserie kit for it and tried doing a standing rib roast on it. Yes it was quite good but I would give far more credit to the poor steer who sacrificed himself for our meal than to the grill :) the ends of the roast were WAY WAY over done while the center was great. Basically on the roast on each side the first 3 inches or so were very well done while the center was on the done side of mid rare. Whereas when I have done the same roast on the old Genesis III (given to my son in law now) it turned out perfectly all the way across for me thanks to the "wall of heat" that blankets a roast evenly across.
My Wolf has an IR burner across the rear for this but oddly on a larger cut i.e. that aforementioned standing rib or when I have done turkeys (yes I have spun 2 at once on it and yes it's THAT big LOL) it needs a slight help from the 2 outside burners so I used that opportunity to add a couple smoke packets.

I had been thinking that the newer North/South grills would be better for cooking indirect on the grates, but I hadn't considered the roto not being well adapted to that configuration. I guess that is one more reason for me to prefer my 24 year old Genesis 1000.

8vd76sj.jpg

vZJjXEj.jpg

eYUqPiN.jpg

Those ribs look GREAT!

I think we really haven’t answered the question regarding brands of rotisserie’s and experience using them. Unfortunately, I have no experience to help from but would sure be interested in what members have found to be the best rotisserie for the Genesis 1000 series as well as the newer 300 series. It does make sense that the so-called “east-west” burner configuration would be better for this type of cooking and maybe most types. That just makes me want to get busy and restore the wreckage I was given of that style of Genesis. Too many projects in my pipeline and tax season dead ahead:mad:!

Personally, if I was going to get a roto for any weber grill, I would look for a good deal on a Weber roto. I probably wouldn't pay what the normal going rate likely is. If I couldnt find that, I would probably go with something like this that fits the E-310:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B008RS6UOC/tvwb-20

Before I found my vintage Weber roto on CL, I was close to pulling the trigger on the ONEGRILL version for a Genesis 1000

Back