Anyone doing a Christmas ham in their gasser this year?

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I have a ham in the freezer for Christmas this year. I am planning on doing it in the Genesis 1000. Some apple wood smoke and a slow, indirect cook up to 140 degrees.

Is anyone else going to do the same?

Does any one have any tips or a recipe to share. Simple is better.

EDIT: I would have posted to the Recipe/Pork forums, but the gasser crowd isn't very well supported there.

Do you like the applewood? I have tried it on some pork stuff (ribs, roast etc) and found it seems to be very light but gives off an acrid taste IMO. I actually was so disappointed in it after a couple tries I just tossed my bag of apple wood chips. Went back to hickory and pecan sometimes cherry

Seems to work fine for me. But, I am not real experienced with smoking and haven't really tried anything else. From what I read, it seemed like Apple was a milder wood and recommended for a wide range of uses so I figured that would be a good choice for me. But, I will probably start trying some other woods as well. I know a guy that cut down a cherry tree for his wood burner and I can probably get a log or two to split up into small chunks. Of course, Oak is readily available around here too.

But, in the mean time, I plan on using the Apple for my ham this next weekend.

Bruce not for Christmas, but I do one every thanksgiving on the 1000 because the oven inside is usually full of turkey. just make sure you put it in a pan as it will generate copious amounts of juice/fat, but it works well. I use cherry for the hams, apple for poultry

BobW:
I dont have any cherry right now, but I am working on some from a buddy. Hopefully I can get it before the weekend. Otherwise, I will go with the apple for now since I have some on hand. I did my Thanksgiving Turkey on the Genesis 1000. And you are right, it makes it a lot easier on the wife with all the other stuff going on in the oven. I plan on doing all of our Holiday meals this way. If we have a big meal for Easter, I will do the meat on the grill.

Thanks for the tip on the pan. I was planning on doing it directly on the grill grates, but putting a pan under it on top of the flavorizer bars. That is what I did with the Turkey.

EDIT: I am going to pick up a Cherry log tomorrow evening from my buddy. Yipppeee. It will be nice to try out a different type of wood for a change.

Last edited:
I picked up a 5 gal bucket full of cherry split logs. I just need to cut the logs into 3-4" sections and then split them into chips and slivers for the smoker box.
I have the ham and will be going out this afternoon to pick up the ingredients for the glaze.
This is the recipe I will be following. Wish me luck:
===================================
Maple Glazed Whole Ham

Ingredients
18-20lb Whole Smoked Ham
¼ cup Maple Syrup
¼ cup Dark Brown Sugar
¼ cup Light Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Honey Dijon Mustard
2 Tablespoons Apple Juice

Instructions
Fire up your smoker 250⁰ to and add a little Cherry wood for a light smoke.
Remove ham from package and place directly on smoker rack.
After the ham cooks for 1 ½ hours, insert a probe thermometer into the center away from the bone.
While ham is smoking, mix up Maple Glaze by combining Maple Syrup, Dark Brown Sugar, Light Brown Sugar, Honey Dijon Mustard and Apple Juice over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer and reduce until it thickens.
Once whole ham reaches 135⁰ internal, brush the glaze over the outside of the ham and continue cooking.
When the internal temp hits 140⁰, remove ham from smoker and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Awwwee, c'mon Larry, most of that glaze will drip/burn off. Besides, you can always trim it off if necessary. The real treat is the protein under neath anyway. Now, the Cherry Pie with ice cream and Strawberry-Cinnamon Mandarin Orange Jello Salad might be a tough sell.

Ham came out great. I got the cherry wood from a buddy so I was all set. The only hitch is that it took longer than expected. But still tasted awesome. Everyone loved the glaze as well.

Back