Does mop = baste ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I'm lookin at a baby back recipe that calls for a mop. Isn't that just the same as using a basting brush ?

Or do ya really need the little mini-mop looking thing , to apply whatever ya using for a baste/mop .

My common sense tells me there's no diff, but everytime I rely on my common sense, I found out there's more to it :)

I use a brush. I think the big difference is how much of a thin sauce you get on the meat with a mop The mop has more capacity. Nothing wrong with common sense.:).

I've often wondered about this too. If a recipe specifically calls to mop, then I usually follow suit. Seems like it's mainly been on Butts or similar cooks. I wouldn't mop with a thicker sauce.

A friend assures me that when you're cooking a lot of meat the mop is the way to go. Just a more efficient means of applying the sauce. He sent me a small replacement mop head he got real cheap some place but I haven't used it yet. I'd have to grab it with tongs or something since I have only the replacement mop head.

Or do ya really need the little mini-mop looking thing

Since you're asking, In your case buy a little mini-mop! :p

EDIT: I should also add, get the most expensive mini-mop you can find, as quality always relates to price.

Last edited:
A friend assures me that when you're cooking a lot of meat the mop is the way to go. Just a more efficient means of applying the sauce.

Very true. When you're cooking 50 racks of ribs in a rotisserie smoker, time is of the essence. Plus, mop recipes usually involve mixing the rub with some liquid. That gives you a mix that won't spray because of all the bits of spice and is too thin to brush effectively. A a mini version of a good ol' sloppy floor mop is the way to go.

Jeff

Yea I think of a mop or sop as a thin liquid that usually contains some fat ( oil ) and acid ( vinegar ) or fresh juice and spices.
Bastes ( to me ) are more using pan drippings and I usually baste towards the last 30 mins.
Glazes usually contain some sugar and like BBQ sauce are usually added at the last 15 mins.
Side note and sorta OT, but how do you folks clean those mops? ( dishwasher, hand wash? ) I had/used one years ago ( 2000) and whatever I tried that thing always smelled funky when I went to use it.

Tim

I'm wondering bout the cleaning also, there's one on Amazon that claims it can go in the washing machine. IDK bout that.

The Weber mop says it has to be hand cleaned.

Yea I think of a mop or sop as a thin liquid that usually contains some fat ( oil ) and acid ( vinegar ) or fresh juice and spices.
Bastes ( to me ) are more using pan drippings and I usually baste towards the last 30 mins.
Glazes usually contain some sugar and like BBQ sauce are usually added at the last 15 mins.
Side note and sorta OT, but how do you folks clean those mops? ( dishwasher, hand wash? ) I had/used one years ago ( 2000) and whatever I tried that thing always smelled funky when I went to use it.

Tim

One word: Dishwasher, top rack...OK, 3 words.:)

I'm wondering bout the cleaning also, there's one on Amazon that claims it can go in the washing machine. IDK bout that.

The Weber mop says it has to be hand cleaned.

See this link:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/12-barbecue-brush-mop/27102103.html

I would get some cheap ones and if after a couple cleanings, I wasn't happy with how well it cleaned up, I'd use a new one. If you're going to clean it, you need some type of degreaser. I'd try Dawn and soak it and rinse it a few times. I wouldn't worry about staining, but if it smelled funky, it'd be gone.

Tim

I like this description - mop for thicker sauces (or thin I guess), but baste I think turkey baster (liquid/drippings)

See this link:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/12-barbecue-brush-mop/27102103.html

I would get some cheap ones and if after a couple cleanings, I wasn't happy with how well it cleaned up, I'd use a new one. If you're going to clean it, you need some type of degreaser. I'd try Dawn and soak it and rinse it a few times. I wouldn't worry about staining, but if it smelled funky, it'd be gone.

OciClean unscented should take care of any colors or scents, pretty similar to bleach. Just mix up some in the sink or a container & soak your brush. I have a mop with silicone bristles - it works ok but doesn't drag around as much sauce as I'd imagine a cotton mop could.

The sauce the recipe calls to be mopped, is apple cider. Which I've never used before and after getting some at the store, I see it has a lot of pulp. And the pulp would make it hard to spritz, which is what I normally do when using Martinelli's apple juice.

And I can't sub apple juice for cider, due to juice having a lot of sugar.

I will get a mop and just deal with cleaning it.

Back