Temp control - 18.5 vs 22

I've been smoking on my 18.5 WSM for a 8 - 9 yrs now and I love it. Man I could get them temp in the range I wanted, go to sleep for hours and never worry it. I knew it would be steady. I finally got me a 22. Been wanting it for years (tired of trimming 3 inches off a big brisket to make it fit). I've had 4 or 5 smokes on it and I find I'm having to baby sit the temp on it a lot more than I have to with the 18.5. Anyone else have this experience, or have I just not got the hang of the 22 yet?

P.S. Still makes a bad *** brisket.

I had the same experience going from the 18 to the 22. My 22 had more air leakage than my 18 so I added a lid gasket and a door gasket. That improved temp control. The other way is keep cooking on it and it will gunk up and settle in. That took longer with my 22 than the 18. Enjoy your new toy. :wsm:

What Len said .......... I had the same experience. Once I put gaskets on the lid and door, it got a lot easier to control the temp.

Mike, I progressed in the same manner as you, although my main reason was for ribs. I got lucky and found a 22" on letgo for $120! I have been very please with the temp control, as I can set it and she will just chug right along for hours. The only major difference I have found is that the 22 is a gas hog compared to the 18.5. Good luck, as others have said, (and I'm sure you found out with your 18.8") the more gunk builds up, the steadier it will become.
Tim

Back