Slicer Recommendations

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So I know this is a grill forum but I think it belongs here
I have for many years enjoyed making my own roasts i.e. pork roasts, beef roasts, chicken and so on for the express purpose that I like a nice sandwich but am becoming more conscious of the crap load of chemicals in commercially prepared products.
So wondering if anyone else feels the same and has contemplated (as I) buying a meat slicer. Not looking for some big expensive product but I see a lot of these home slicers and wondered if anyone has ever bought one. If so: Did it work? Did you find it useful? Easy to maintain/sharpen etc? What brand and price?
Up to this point I have relied on a VERY sharp German carbon steel slicer but while it works after a fashion when the hunk o meat is large as you whittle it down getting a nice slice becomes more precarious. Also I find the thinner blade (while it slides through pretty darn well) makes it hard to hold an even thickness due to slight blade flex.
I am specifically looking at products under $150 BTW So let me know thoughts.

I once bought (and subsequently sold) a, full size deli slicer locally off of Craigslist. It was awesome. It was an old Hobart. I used it a lot for the first month or so that I had it, it's great not just for meats, but you can zing through vegetables really quickly and accurately too. However, cleaning it was a whole big pain, and the slicer itself was large. I didn't have it on the kitchen counter, instead it was in this room I had that was down a spiral staircase, making cleaning it even more of a pain. However, if you have a setup where you can be close to a sink and you have the space for a big slicer, why not? I believe I paid about 150 for it, again it was old so it was cheap. It was fully functional, and I did get a lot of comments and sideways looks from friends and family, but they know me and didn't think it was too far out of character haha!

I thought about that route also. Darn near bought one but he size is daunting. Space is already at a premium and with the big heavy duty 6qt KitchenAid on the counter (too big and heavy to move around) I can't afford the space

There are smaller options with rotary blades designed for home use, but I'm not at all sure how they perform. Good luck, let us know what happens!

Tim

We have an old Krupp LM. its a home version and mostly plastic. it has served us well, but even the cleanup on that one makes you really consider whether to bring it out and use it. It works good for roasts that are done particularly for sandwich's. Pork loins, eye rounds etc. You can really beat the Deli price by doing this. I chill the roasts before slicing. the big problem is that when slicing the residue from the meat gets into all the nooks and cranny's on the machine, this the PIA clean up.

Larry:
I used to make my own beef jerky. I would buy bottom round roasts and slice them thin using a knife, then marinate and dehydrate them. (that was pre weber grill days). Anyway, the jerky was awesome. I got tired of having to slice up so much meat and it was tough getting it a uniform and thin enough size with a knife. So, my sister bought me a relatively cheap (mostly plastic) home slicer. It did work, but not that well. Then after every use, you basically have to completely disassemble them and clean them up or you risk all manner of bacterial nasties. I found it just simpler to go back to doing it by hand.
I worked in a restaurant as a kid and we had a couple of those Hobart industrial slicers. Man, they were nice. Perfect slices all day long, from 1/16th inch to one inch. But, again, cleaning them is a pain and if you just use it for one small use, it isn't worth the hassle. The slicer was donated to the local St Vinnys.

Now that you mention doing up fresh meat for sandwitches and such, I am thinking, heck, why not. It is so much better than that deli "beef and beef by product" stuff that is saturated with MSM, MSG, NBC, CBS, FOX and ABC, not to mention Sodium and a dozen other chemical preservatives. I am thinking that buying a roast and cooking it, slicing it and freezing the extra for later will probably even be less expensive.

Another excuse to fire up the Genny 1000 and rotisserie.

How do you cook up your beef roasts so they stay nice and tender and juicy?

I've had this Rival model for about 20 years at least and it gets a regular work out with homemade deli meats and bacon. They are no longer made but flea bay still has them and any parts you might need.
It's simple to clean as the motor comes off by loosing one set screw same with the blade so you can submerse the rest of it without hurting anything, takes about 5 minuets to clean it.
Plus it's all steel no plastic except the part that attaches the sliding tray to the frame.

Just used it last week to slice up 11 pounds of bacon about 265 slices worked great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RIVAL-MODE...157479?hash=item465edb8ce7:g:P20AAOSw3v5Ytzaz

Last edited:
A couple ovservations on that youtube video. First, that blade sure wobbles a lot...It doesnt see, to affect the cutting though. Second thought is that the guy is using partially frozen meat. It is a good trick to get uniform slices, even when using a knife. I would like to have seen him cut the meat unfrozen. Another observation is that he is negating the safety factors of the slicer by holding the meat directly with his hand (fingers) which is extremely dangerous with a meat slicer. Experience tells me that!

I am less sold on that slicer after the video.

Man, that is a flimsy slicer! The old Hobart would have eaten that roast for breakfast! Of course, it was larger and harder to clean than that toy slicer, but still. Sometimes you have to go big or go home :)

It's true, that is why I got rid of mine!

Larry, you might consider just carving with a knife!

Slainte,

Tim

TH and Bruce it appears to do the job, its no Hobart but who the heck would expect it to be. Rich if I read it right has been using his for 20 years so its low cost and quite frankly if I paid 300 bucks or whatever for a Hobart what is the payback over just buying it in the deli at my local Kroger nor as Larry said who would have the counter space not that you would leave this on the counter. I will admit I am not a chemical guy who thinks this new stuff will kill you, I grew up in a time my mother saved the bacon grease in a jar and used it to fry other stuff 64 still alive maybe just lucky.

Yes Bruce I agree he looks a bit reckless with his hands near the blade was thinking the same thing but it might be a solution for some knowing the drawbacks.

By the way loved those fried eggs in bacon grease.

Brian

Last edited:
Brian, My mom did the same thing with bacon grease. Small canning jar full was always in the fridge as I grew up. It's no wonder I still think Mom's cooking is the best I ever had.

I see this is going off topic here, so what the hell.
Talking about eggs fried in bacon grease.
I'm 70 and still have a vivid memory of mom flipping the hot grease over the top of the eggs with a spatula (we called it a flipper).
Best eggs ever!!

If a thread can go a whole page without falling off the cliff, it should get a sticky. It is pretty common and most don't seem to get too bent over it. I am probably one of the worst offenders.

So, back on topic....I wonder how well a slicer would do on over easy eggs....the bacon grease might lube them up enough for a clean cut.

This is the most fun on a thread during the winter months talking about slicers how our moms and I agree the best cook of anything please do not tell my wife that a staple was bacon grease damn eggs were so good or anything cooked in it.

I grew up where when you cooked a turkey mom always made the stuffing with sausage and always cooked inside the bird it was never dry always moist used soda crackers made it from scratch but again apologize for hijacking the thread also.

Happy Holidays All.

Brian

It's the winter, and bacon grease, slicers, mom's cooking and (if I may provide a reminder) grilling are all red-blooded American things to discuss.

That Hobart was a sweet slicer, I must say.

If a thread can go a whole page without falling off the cliff, it should get a sticky. It is pretty common and most don't seem to get too bent over it. I am probably one of the worst offenders.

So, back on topic....I wonder how well a slicer would do on over easy eggs....the bacon grease might lube them up enough for a clean cut.

I'm guilty of that too....:rolleyes:

Back