How to travel with a brisket

JHermann

I am going on our annual January fishing trip to a town about an hour from where I live. The problem is that I am in charge of dinner the first night and people have asked me to make a packer brisket. I'll obviously smoke the brisket overnight before I leave. Since I am leaving at about 10 am and we are not eating until 6ish pm, what do you guys suggest as ways that I can serve/transport this brisket? Should I under cook it and finish it in the oven in our fishing cabin just before 6? Can it sit in a cooler from 10 am until 6, wrapped in foil, and still be good to eat? Put it in a crock pot?

Any advice would be very welcomed!

Jim

The Brotherhood of the Traveling Brisket...

If you have a good quality cooler, one of those newer ones that claim ice will stay solid for three days, that would probably do the job. A couple layers of heavy duty foil, some thick towels, you should be good. Like Tim suggested, you might consider adding some additional thermal mass, like a few bricks or a patio stone heated in a low oven for a couple hours. Wrap the bricks in a towel and set the brisket on top. That should keep it toasty for a long time. I've done that with Christmas ham and hours later it was still plenty hot for serving.

I'd go the cooler route, preferably with additional bricks, and check it an hour or two before serving. If it needs to be warmed up just stick the foiled brisket in a low oven to reheat. Even re-warmed brisket is going to be good eats on a fishing trip.

10 to 6 is a long time, you need to keep it at 140°F or above for food safety. If you don't feel you can do that using an empty cooler, then you should cook it, slice it, refrigerate it, and reheat it at your destination. Wrap tightly in a couple of layers of foil with a little beef broth in there, or place in a disposable foil pan, add broth, cover with foil, reheat at 250°F until warmed through.

Good luck, hope you catch some beauties!

Yes, Chris makes a very, very, good point. It might just be easier(and safer) to finish it off a little earlier get it sliced at home chill itand re heat at fish camp. I’ve held things for four hours but, not eight. The added bricks,might do the trick but, no one should get sick at fish camp!

A January fishing trip sounds like a perfect opportunity to invite your smoker and opt-in for dinner duty the second day ;)

Put one of these on top of the cooler & get there even faster:

a99830_odd_most_interesting__hov_scam.jpg

I'd cook it all the way through, chill quickly, then reheat it when ready.

- - - Updated - - -

I just want to know a good fishing spot about an hour drive from the St Louis area. :)

It's called Westover Farms. Great little place to trout fish about 1 hour away.

- - - Updated - - -

A January fishing trip sounds like a perfect opportunity to invite your smoker and opt-in for dinner duty the second day ;)

If only my wife would let me take the smoker in our car! She'd kill me if I did that.

Back