Thermometers

JoeE

I have an 18.5" WSM smoker and I have a single probe iGrill, which is great if I am home and within 30' of my smoker. There are times when I even do an overnight smoke that I need to be further away from the grill with my phone then that and I am thinking about building my own remote thermometer with at least 4 probes (2-3 meat and 1-2 grate temp). I am thinking about using a RaspberryPi with wireless and an additional board for the probe connections. I know that there are a lot of flavors of thin operating systems out there that I can use. I am not very code savy to write something from scratch but I can modify some code to suit my needs.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone done this before? I have seen a few threads that are beyond my level of programming expertise and/or not what I'm looking to do.
2. Can this be setup to push the results of the probes to a website and graph it for me to remotely monitor my cook? What is available out there to do this besides registering a new page?
3. I have a budget of about $150 complete and I have the Pi and box with WiFi adapter already?
4. AM I just crazy taking on another project for my smoker?
5. Will my Jeep ever get completed? :) (No need to answer this one, it will NEVER be done)

Hi Joe,

Just a couple of sections down you will find the Heatmeter DIY project. While I use a commercial product, this Heatmeter DIY seem pretty slick.

https://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-HeaterMeter-DIY-BBQ-Controller

Another option, if you are just looking to monitor rather than control , is the ThermoWorks Smoke product. Add their gateway to get that long distance link to what you're BBQing.

Wishing you the very best on your endeavors.

Last edited:

Back