Beef Jerkey

Nick Hall

So, I made some beef jerky a couple of weeks ago on my WSM 22.5. This was my first time making jerky. I used a video from T-Roy Cooks as a guideline. I found a DR Pepper Jalapeno marinade online and soaked the meat over night. I used a few chunks of hickory and the modified minion method described in the video. The results were amazing!

Here's the start of my cook:

qbIZFYG.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Here's the end result, I only did one rack full this time.

5omj4gT.jpg
[/IMG]

The samples I gave everyone were so popular that now I decided to cook some for Christmas gifts. The only thing I wanted to do was increase my cook capacity. Here's my WSM top grate and bottom grate.

siu1nrU.jpg
[/IMG]
XB5O7K3.jpg
[/IMG]

I added an extra grate to each one to give me more surface area to cook more jerky!

tR5IgMj.jpg
[/IMG]
yJIyLc5.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm so excited! I already bought 20 lbs eye of round and will start prepping everything tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hey Nick -

You can't use photobucket anymore for hosting on third party sites. You could try imgur. Looking forward to seeing it!

Daum

I added updated the post with photos from imgur.

I also started my jerky smoke today. I filled both of the bottom with a teriyaki jerky I marinated last night and both top racks with Jalapeno DR Pepper.

TMxIBpg.jpg
[/IMG]
iTeHoqJ.jpg
[/IMG]

I still ran out of room though. I still have some Dr Pepper jerky marinating and some of my own concoction. I combined some orange and apple quarters, three spoonfuls of crushed pineapple, two habeneros and some garlic and onion powder. I have no idea how this will turn out, but it will have to wait until this afternoon. I'll post updates and pictures.

Good looking jerky Nick.
I cut mine more the size of your top batch and can get a good amount on with skewers.
Maybe try hanging some from the bottom rack of each 2 rack setup.

mbDUjI12aYbRPTQy-FCpym9J1Hqh6XlBJn0b5ecCKxfe8PBH1yPY5Bap4vfxNNjyKrPzH7PQqFetJ5tE4XnfiRdyDtiCXwtcc9tz6ZzrX8xG3OqrtCpluUyvfbERRbpfcqrbVy4dDyMes3jplmWuzj9VbFSkq5HskuKbjxhv4qXpJaAzfC53URvHczPu6WnD4mSM8k7ZsKvWbnD9H1O6cAPqspqVN7hPCJcsf58uIMHb0Ej8U28f8pWcyl7qbBKD3f6owv6-yueagyLH-gK07TKe6xHTlUFn1VIKkUCl752TY6_nvn_o9zyrbCnoU7cd903566KDkTNTpsyUQkRiUvQg5ePb0aHiOGHkjVXvFBH3Ra-vq-3UO78qxLWl0i_kO5yR33kOqRZcHW1ti59uN0FiZ7NbByfc121zyXieATxe0-kP04zWToNKez4QV8nF_OSG4CJmmT2WKyppQpMVaVonu0Isb1kzsAPiZmcxE4ytMSZU7zf7m0uQd-MgT92Csk2Lz1Rh9V-rJi7SgJs8UkmF1vUnLlh3pWvmgvE_bkJeNNS8aocQ7D6j5kFAOdzTOMTyQkPoQ5abTrWISPxy1ksj5nBB-zZDFfPMrxTd6A=w1595-h896-no

Man that Jerky looks delicious. The recipients of your jerky are going to be some lucky people.

Your jerky looks really good Nick and that marinade sounds interesting. I was curious, do you have any issues holding lower temps with that door? Seems like quite a gap along the top and sides with the door completely shut.

I did have problem with temp spikes. Both when the wood chunks ignited and with air coming in through the door. I am going to order a Cajun bandit door and some gaskets to seal everything better. I also want to get a better thermometer on the top dome and put one in the side, near the middle cooking grate.

I also used a type of minion method, which may have been too much coal. Next week, when I cook some more jerky, I am going to try a snake method to keep temps down.

Nice job on that jerky Nick! I usually use my excalibur dehydrator for jerky but there is no substitute for that wood smoked flavor. Yours looks awesome!

Regards,

John

Back