Spiral ham suggestions

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Wife’s son brought a spiral ham for Christmas dinner. I usually prefer a regular “real” not lathe turned ham but hey, he bought!
These tend to dry out more than I like, any suggestions to keep things more moist?

Not grilled but we wrap it in aluminum foil and put in a crock pot for 3-4 hours--doesn't need to be cooked, just warmed up.

Yes, just cook it up to 140 if its labelled ready to eat. I put mine on the WSM for Thanksgiving in it turned out fine. I did some kind of glaze, I think using apricot preserves.

My advice on spiral cut ham is -- don't! But, as you said, somebody else bought it so you have to make the best of the situation. The last couple times I've done it I put it in one of those roasting bags. That helps to keep it from drying out too much. Also heat it low and slow, several hours at 200-225F in the oven until it hits about 140 like Dustin said. The crock pot idea seems pretty good too. I think I'd be tempted to take it off the bone right at the start and then lay the slices in the crock pot. I'd imagine they wouldn't dry out as much since they'd be simmering in their own juices most of the time.

The last few years I've been buying the boneless apple wood smoked ham at Costco. They look a little odd because they split the ham along the length of the bone rather than cutting across it. Imagine you started with a whole ham standing on end and you cut through it straight down alongside the bone. Despite the uncommon shape, these have been the best hams I've ever had. They heat through quicker since it's thinner than a regular ham and the boneless aspect is convenient (unless you were looking forward to making soup with the bone).

A few years back I used the glaze packet that came with the ham. It called for optional inclusion of raisins. I didn't have any raisins but I did have some dried cherries, so I used those. I thought it was excellent. The cherry went extremely well with the ham.

Thanks you guys, this all reaffirms my original thoughts.
Jay, I’ve gotten those weird shaped things at Costco and they are pretty darned good!
Tim, thanks for the link, I’ve done that method but, forgotten about that!

I also prefer whole or half hams butt or shank, but when spirals are on sale I'll stock up.
You can still save the bone and use it for beans or stock. Leftover slices make a mean ham and scalloped potatoes casserole, or just part it out and use it for lunch meat, grilled paninis, etc.
I'ts already pre-cooked and sliced so:)
Tim

Thanks Jay and Timothy Lewis for recommending the Costco boneless hams.
I picked up 2 today, they look like quarter hams to me.
Heating up quickly, easy carve, and no waste is right down my alley.
They were $2.69/lb, nearly 4/lbs. each.

Bob, those little pearls are wonderful! Having them available for reasonable prices is pretty nice. Now, with a slicer, oooh! I’m mighty excited to pick a couple up!

Tim - do you follow that exact process without any deviations (no offense intended if Chris sees this)? I have never smoked a ham, yet, but it's on my list.

This is a method for heating a sliced ham, not “How to smoke” just for clarification.
Smoking a ham is a little different process. The steps involved are not terribly difficult but, somewhat lengthy.

Last edited:
Tim - do you follow that exact process without any deviations (no offense intended if Chris sees this)? I have never smoked a ham, yet, but it's on my list.

Yea, pretty much. One of the few times I use water and go low and slow. I like Emeril's Citrus-Rum glaze on hams and Maple or pecan for a double smoke.

Tim

Barb likes to have a ham at Christmas and the last few years we've had the Kirkland pre sliced ham from Costco and it's been excellent every time. I just follow the directions and it comes out very moist and one thing I like about it is it's not overly salty.

This is a method for heating a sliced ham, not “How to smoke” just for clarification.
Smoking a ham is a little different process. The steps involved are not terribly difficult but, somewhat lengthy.

Well, there's smoking a ham and then there's smoking a ham. There's a difference! I guess what we are talking about is more re-smoking a ham.

There’s “smoking a ham” as in how to make a pork leg a ham and then there is smoking a “ham”which is more like heating up with smoke. Exactly. I would like to really cure and smoke a hogleg sometime, sounds like it might be interesting.

Back