High Heat Brisket - Foil?

Daum

TVWBB Super Fan
For NYE I'm going to do a brisket. Due to timing I think I'll be using the high heat method rather than overnight that I usually do. I was brushing up on the HH brisket techniques and it looks like it's recommended to be put in a foil pan/wrap. Was curious what people have seen as their best results with this method? When doing the overnight I usually wrap it in butcher paper at around 160-170 instead of foil. I'll be separating the point to make some burnt ends too.

What is your go to technique for high heat briskets?

Thanks and happy holidays!
Daum

For NYE I'm going to do a brisket. Due to timing I think I'll be using the high heat method rather than overnight that I usually do. I was brushing up on the HH brisket techniques and it looks like it's recommended to be put in a foil pan/wrap. Was curious what people have seen as their best results with this method? When doing the overnight I usually wrap it in butcher paper at around 160-170 instead of foil. I'll be separating the point to make some burnt ends too.

What is your go to technique for high heat briskets?

Thanks and happy holidays!
Daum

I've done a total of one HH brisket, so that this with a grain of salt. I wrapped at about 170 in three layers of heavy duty foil (no liquid was added)and put it on a wire rack (mainly to make it easier to get it off the smoker without breaking or tearing the foil.)

Having always been a low & slow guy, I wasn't sure how this cook would go. In hindsight, it was the best brisket I've ever cooked. I don't see myself doing too many overnight cooks in the future.

I've done a total of one HH brisket, so that this with a grain of salt. I wrapped at about 170 in three layers of heavy duty foil (no liquid was added)and put it on a wire rack (mainly to make it easier to get it off the smoker without breaking or tearing the foil.)

Having always been a low & slow guy, I wasn't sure how this cook would go. In hindsight, it was the best brisket I've ever cooked. I don't see myself doing too many overnight cooks in the future.

I saw your photo post and it looked awesome! I wonder the benefits of the foil vs paper if any. What wood did you use by the way?

Thanks!
Daum

The people who do high heat seem to place a lot of importance on the foiling part as critical to the process. My guess is that it probably helps the brisket cook a lot more evenly and well as help tenderize it. If you are separating the point then it being done at the same time as the flat is not so crucial. I haven't heard of anyone doing butcher paper high heat, but the paper should help protect the meat from the heat. Good luck.

I saw your photo post and it looked awesome! I wonder the benefits of the foil vs paper if any. What wood did you use by the way?

Thanks!
Daum

I used hickory (all I had on hand, I usually use cherry). Also, when I do L&S, I wrap in white butcher paper. It lets the brisket breathe a bit, so the bark stays firmer. Aaron Franklin did a (somewhat scientific) test where he compared not wrapping to both butcher paper and foil. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw.

Thanks Chris! Using your attempt as a guide as well as the forum post linked at the bottom!

Daum

I've foiled all of my briskets (4) so far. The only thing I do different is I separate the flat from the point when they meet (when looking down on it) before smoking them. The flat gets done faster.

Never done a high heat one, I’ve done two briskets to date, neither foiled at any point. But, this is a lovely prime packer and I’m thinking about which method for a New Year’s Day feast. Given the fact I will probably be up late, I might just put it on NYE and not worry about it much. Should work just fine but, doing a different method to learn technique is also fun. Maybe I will let the cocktail intake direct the method.

I foil my high heats at around 160 to 170. When done, I wrap that in an old towel and put it in a cheap foam ice chest for an hour or so. It’ll still be hot as ever even 4 hours later.

I think the time in the chest improves the moisture and tenderness. I could be wrong, but the results are really good.

Back