Grill Light

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
With it getting dark out so early, I was finding it hard to see what the heck I was grilling. Using house lighting was ok, but not bright enough on the area I needed and it seemed like it was always being blocked by me or something else. I saw this in a Menards add and I am having the daughter get it for me for Christmas. I have a cheapo one that has a clamp base but it didn't hold good and was hard to find a good place to mount it. This one has both a solid clamp and better yet, magnetic feet. It will be great on the porcelain control panel or even stuck to my rotisserie mount or steel shelf brackets or grill frame on my Genesis 1000 via the magnets so I can position it where I need it. As long as it puts out a good amount of light and the magnets hold solid, I think it will be great. I didn't want to deal with an electrical cord or dedicated yard/house light or spend $50 plus for a name brand light so this looks like a good solution for me.

What do you guys think?

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...1078035988.htm?tid=2900249200752373251&ipos=1

I thought about the handle lights, but I figured they would be expensive and if not, cheap and probably melt on a hot cook. Also, I thought they might not provide much in the way of directing the light. The light you posted looks pretty good. Maybe I get that for my Q100? I probably could have done more research. I will post up my thoughts after I get it and use it.

That's the one I use on my 1000. It throws plenty of light. It hasn't melted yet and I don't expect it too since its meant to be used on a grill handle. The nice thing is once you have it mounted and adjusted it stays that way.

Bruce, It looks like a newer version (LED) of the same one I have. My magnet magnet works great and is very stable. The ability to direct the light wherever, such as the side of your grill, is also nice. I think you will really like it, and I would be curious to hear about light output. Mine is fine, but I will bet that your new one will be very bright.

Merry Christmas!

Jon

And here I'm thinking of putting some serious floodlights in near the grill .... I'm on a natural gas line and the grill pretty much stays put, so I don't need to worry about being mobile ... but I am interested to hear how you all like the handle lights. Seems like not enough light to be able to really see the food, but I could easily be wrong!

Tim

It’s a “blow out” here, I might go get one and test it this weekend! At 15 bucks how bad can it be?
I have one similar but it’s designed for a gas grill handle and is not really worth the set up challenge. If the blasted things were water/weather proof, I’d use a LUXO artist clamp lamp! Sadly, it’s way too wet around here when I really need it so, where it is a reasonable idea alas, it is not for this climate, until they make one submersible!

Last edited:
And here I'm thinking of putting some serious floodlights in near the grill .... I'm on a natural gas line and the grill pretty much stays put, so I don't need to worry about being mobile ... but I am interested to hear how you all like the handle lights. Seems like not enough light to be able to really see the food, but I could easily be wrong!

Tim

Tim the one I mentioned above throws plenty of light. Seems well made and like it will last but who knows?

On your recommendation Greg I got that light for my 1000. Seems well made and plenty bright. I’ll have to get used to the switch (you have to hold it two seconds to light, then tap to the desired brightness) but gobs of light for sure. Think this is the one I was looking for

Huh. I still kind of want to put two floodlights behind where I stand at the grill, but for fifteen bucks it's pretty tempting ....

Bob that holding the switch down for several seconds threw me for a loop at first too. But it makes perfect sense. Keeps the light from getting turned on accidentally and running the battery down. Glad you like it.

If the one I am getting for Christmas doesn't work out, I will be looking hard at that one.

Once concern I have is heat. I know my grill gets up to about 600 degrees and the handle gets so hot I can't open it with my bare hand. Will a light on that handle hold up with that kind of heat?

Bruce, I don't see why not....it sits away from the grill a bit after its attached. My 1000 handle is wooden and stays cool. I don't think heat would be an issue for this lamp. Had my reservations when I ordered but it seems like just what I was looking for

That sounds a bit iffy with the heat, but it doesn't look like a lot of complaints of nuclear melt downs. As I stated earlier, I will probably grab one of those if my Christmas grill light doesn't work out.

The plastic really isn't an issue. The heat that the handle area gets is moderate and the light is designed to handle that.

My last grill light was a clip on led. I would clip it on the lid at the beginning of a grill session if it was dark. That light was plastic and the heat never hurt it. The switch finally wore out on that one.

The nice thing about a grill light that you mount on the lid is that once you mount and adjust it you just turn it on and then every time you raise the lid you have a bright light right on the grilling surface.

I got my grill light for Christmas. But one of the magnets on the base was broken. I hope my daughter has a receipt. It otherwise looks like it will work very well. Seems like it has a lot of good light and the neck is plenty long.

Back