Midnight Brisket Smoke in the cold.

Kyle L

I have been absent for awhile, (mid full kitchen remodel) and I have the itch to cook. I got a thermoworks Smoke on BF and plan to use it this evening to do a midnight brisket cook. I plan to follow the instructions here(minion method), it is supposed to get down to 21° tonight. Any tips or things I should do for cooking in the cold or will the WSM hold temps good through the night?

As long as it’s not too windy, you should be fine. Check it in the morning add fuel if needed (likely) chuck in a little more smoke wood, go back in and have breakfast. At least that’s what I generally do.
A couple of weeks ago, I did just that, touched it off about ten PM, got everything dialed in before going to bed and slept just fine. Got up about eight, temp was good, added more fuel, went to a movie, got home, things still holding pretty well. About five, temps started falling, added a bit more fuel and wood, by 7:30 all was well and we were all ready to eat like there would be no tomorrow! I love overnight cooks like that. Planning a New Years brisket using the same basic technique.

Last edited:
The cold won't bother the WSM, but like Timothy says, be mindful of the wind.

I have had the wind mess with my temps on a 75 degree day, but have been rock steady on a calm 40 or 95 degree day.

Back