Vintage Weber Grill Out Handle

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Here's a cool old item from 2001 that I picked up a few years ago at our thrift store. I am planning on using it as part of the Genesis Skyline custom grill I am restoring and modifying:

2ce455x.jpg

It is designed for the original Genesis grills to replace the wooden or plastic handles:

2z9d28g.jpg

It is very old-school, pre-LED. The handle holds the batteries and is wide enough to accommodate type "C". Even with conventional bulbs, I think the batteries will have to be replaced to guard against corrosion long before they run out. The big handle may be a little awkward, and I don't think it would look so great for, say, a vintage redhead. But, for my black Skyline where I am trying to play up the urban, Chicago look I think it will be totally cool! I also like that this handle give you a little more clearance than the old-style OEM handles. I love the wood ones, but truthfully the curved handles on the later Silver models were safer and more practical, IMO at least.

vglk3q.jpg

2e1zii0.jpg

Here's the info from the cover. Does anybody currently have one of these in service? If so, how do you like it?

oua1vl.jpg

You will probably notice that even 16 years ago, Weber used Chinese-made accessories:(

Garth, i will look closer when I get my parts back out, but I am pretty sure they are easily replaced. I thought about the LED upgrade idea, too. Depending on how it works as is, I will probably wait for one of the old bulbs to go out. I do think it is a cool accessory for the right application.

Jon

Back